Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would you run 2 daylights (10k) and then 2 actinics? I have room to install 2 more fixtures but I don't want to spend any money on this setup. I rather put money towards a T5HO setup or similar.

2 of the bulbs actually say actinic white thennthe other 2 just say super actinic.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if you have a 4 lamp VHO fixture now, you can just continue using that. yes, 2 daylights and 2 actinics should be fine. whichever looks better to you. the drawbacks are that you can't use assorted bulbs and "tweak" the look, and you'll use more electricity. before T5s were out, many people kept successful reef tanks with VHO T12 lamps.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well the tank is running! Finished my sump Thursday night. Filled the tank about %75 Friday and threw a power head in for circulation. Added the sump Friday night and let it sit overnight just to be sure the silicone was cured. Saturday night I filled the sump and tank the rest of the way and turned on the return pump. No leaks and all was well! I still need to do some tuning on the Durso standpipe. I think I drilled my hole in the end cap too large. I also only used 1" PVC for it and just now noticed they mentioned using 1.25". Not sure if that effects anything.

The water level in the over flow chamber is just under the top of the street-ell. The water level stays stable. If I turn up the flow on the return pump the water level will just rise in the overflow chamber but it will stop at a certain point and stay stable. This does make it more noisy though. To me it's not putting out that much water. I thought it would flow a lot more.

If I put my finger over the hole in the end cap slightly the way it is the water level will drop to around the middle of the street-ell which I read is a good thing. Then I might be able to turn up the flow a bit more? Let me know what you guys think about that.

I glued in the stand pipe and end cap. I think my only option would be to plug up that existing hole and drill a new one or maybe just put a little silicone to cover up half the hole?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not much interest in the boring stuff I see

Well here's my solution for my end cap problem on my standpipe. I drilled the hole out larger and then ran an air line down into it. Attached that to an air valve and now I can control the vent. Basically cranked the return pump as high as I could while still maintaining a stable water line in the overflow. Stays pretty quiet as well.

I'll be running the valve on the backside to keep it out of the way.

Sump is also finished. Here's a shot of just RODI water being ran through it.

My Mag 9.5 seems to be a bit noisy though. Should it be suctioned to the bottom of the glass or does everyone just let it sit there? It doesn't have a stand or anything. It's making a pretty annoying humming sound, also some noise I can't really describe. Not really loud but it can be heard if you pay attention. Almost like something is in the impeller but hard to tell.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would use something like a mouse pad or similar to sit it on inside the sump to decrease vibration.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

That wouldn't effect water at all huh? That's interesting. What all is involved with taking those Mag pumps apart for maintenance? The more I think about it the more I want to check out the impeller and what not.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

4 phillips screws.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Easy enough. Thanks again Doug!

I'm taking a water sample to the LFS tonight to have it tested for copper, ALK, and PO4. If all goes well I'll start mixing in salt tonight and add heaters.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

why were you checking for copper again?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

I read about the sensitivity of corals and invertebrates to copper in a tank and since it was used I wanted to see if there were any traces of it left from anything that the previous owner might have done? They said they never treated anything in the tank but I figured it'd be a safe thing to do while I'm at this current state?

Tags
build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com