Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
sounds good. i just thought you were aware of something happening that i missed reading earlier.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nah. Just trying to be as prepared as possible I guess. Figured this way if for some odd reason the water does have copper in it then at least I didn't waste time heating it all up and waste the salt that was added.

Any tips on adding the salt since we're on that topic? Turn off the main return pump or keep all the pumps going? It's Red Sea Pro. I'll be using a Hydrometer for the time being but have been researching refractometers.

Also you mentioned earlier that I should add the sand after the rocks are in place. Is there anything I can do to prep the sand for being put into the main tank? If I can do anything to cut down on the sand storm that follows that would be amazing. I know that it needs rinsed. Should it be rinsed with RO/DI water? Can I put 10g or so of RO/DI into my 20g tank then pour in the sand and swirl it around for rinsing and get rid of the water from that? Should one good rinse be good? I was thinking of a 2" sand bed for the main tank which would require about 52lbs of sand. 1" of sand in my fuge would require about 6lbs of sand. I'm thinking (2) of the 30lb bags I got will work out perfectly.

After the sand is rinsed I can fill the 20g tank back up with RO/DI and throw a Maxi-jet 1200 in there to keep water circulating until the live rock is ready to be put in?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would keep all pumps going and just pour the salt in.

to prep the sand i would rinse the daylights out of it in 5 gallon buckets...fill it up with water then pour off the white until the water coming out is mostly clear. it's gonna look like this-

i guess you could use a tank for this purpose, but i think it would be more work. a bucket can be easily tipped over to pour out water and no risk of breaking it.

to add it to the tank i used a large fish net (seen in the bottom of the sink in the above pic). it worked ok i guess.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

So did you just rinse it out using tap water? That was my only reason for using a tank. I have quite a few 5g buckets I could easily use as well. I just didn't want to risk getting tap water into the tank that I just spent days on making RO/Di for. haha!

On mixing the salt, can I just add it to the display tank and add in a little less than what it should take? I'm not sure the exact amount of water in my system. How long should I wait before testing salinity? I'd imagine it will take a little while for the salt to distribute evenly through the water?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

i wouldn't worry about a little bit of tap water....as you can see..lol. boy am i glad i took all those pictures that i felt were pointless at the time!

yeah...i would add about the equivalent of a 50 gallon mix, and let that mix in for a couple hours then add a little at a time till i had it right. then check again the next day to be sure. you could always remove some water if you over do it.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok added in my Ebo Jager 150w heater into the sump and then added the 250w Stealth heater to the DT. I added in 30 cups of Red Sea Pro salt which should do around 60g. I know I'm closer to 70-75 easily. I did that last night. Going to check salinity when I get home today.

The DT was up to 76 this morning. I have the Stealth about 2" under the water line on the back of the DT with the return line output going over it. The stealth was set on 79 for that so I upped it to 81. The Jager was set on 77 in the sump so I upped that to 79. The issue I was having was that the Stealth say the water is up to temp. I think it was because the water coming out of the return was heated up by the Jager and maybe the return pump? Should I move the Stealth to the bottom back wall of the DT? I just really want to keep it out of site. The Jager is a bit too large for my sump as well so I'm thinking about finding something under about 12.5", say (2) Stealth 100w heaters on each side of the sump. Input?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

those adjustments on the heaters themselves are not accurate. you'll have to play with them to get your ideal temp, as you are experiencing. i do think you should have 1 heater up top and one in the sump, in the event that your return pump quits on you, you'll still have a heat source in the DT.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeh that was my thinking as well. Is the stealth ok a couple inches under the water line on the back wall? I ended up moving my outlet from the return in front of the heater so it wasn't directly on it. I figured this would give the heater more water from the DT instead of directly from the return pump.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

i thought they were completely submersible. better check with manufacturers' specs though.

...if it's this type, they say it's completely submersible:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754055
Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's completely submersed but it's horizontal under the water line.

Tags
build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com