Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

I guess I got my terminology mixed up. I didn't mean on the return for the filter sock. I meant on the return from the overflow so like you said, the drain into the sump.

Great point on the filter floss. Will it trap tiny life in it or will it just keep it from passing to the return pump? My trap is after the fuge so if it just keeps them from passing to the main tank while it's being used I'm ok with that. If it's trapping life inside then that kind of sucks..... It's probably best to do filtering before the fuge I'm thinking?

The live rock that I used was in the tank for about a year. Then placed into 5g buckets and transported to my house immediately. At that point it went right into the tank. There was also some rock that went into the tank that was just cured. Had been in a tote for a month or two with a powerhead and heater.

If there is no ammonia spike, just let it go a couple weeks then do a PWC and start with a few live stock?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yeah, if you can put the floss before the refugium, (a filter sock might be better for this) that would be good.
the tiny life i referred to will want to live in the filter floss. i always hated cleaning out cannisters and HOb filters after running them for a while...they were always loaded with starfish, pods, worms....
i found myself sitting there with tweezers trying to save every single one...

Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks yet again Doug for the help. Filter sock sounds like a good plan. Are those something Petsmart and major places will stock? I need to pull the skimmer out to get it cleaned up from all the sand that was in the tank so that'll be a good time to put the sock on.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, you should be able to find them pretty easily. btw, try to get a large one, like 8". they last longer before needing cleaning and they are much easier to clean. i found the little 4"ers are hard to turn inside out.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok sounds good. I have a 1.5" ID drain tube going into the sump. Will that be an issue?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

na..you're probably going to have to rig something up to hold the sock in place...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I don't think I got what I should have

I think I can make it work though. I'm just going to cut the filter to size and put it into the media bag and attach that to the end of the drain tube. Should work about the same right? Just keep it rinsed well.

The media bag isn't a filter right? It just holds media? I looked everywhere for an actual filter sock and nothing.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	26779  
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

i don't know how that's going to work for ya. why not just order a few filter socks online?
Filter Sock Mechanical Filter Media
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Activist

I might have to just go that route..... I'm waiting on putting in an order from premium aquatics. I'll see if they have them.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i don't know how that's going to work for ya. why not just order a few filter socks online?
Filter Sock Mechanical Filter Media
I'll chalk my idea up to a learning experience

I called the LFS and they actually just got a 200 micron sock in the same day so I buzzed over to pick it up. It's this style. Put it on last night and seems to be working well. Would getting a 100 micron sock be better?

Filter Sock 100 micron With Drawstring 7in x 16 inch

Day 2 of the LR in place seems to be doing great. Ammonia was up to around .25ppm. I found some type of Xenia still on one rock and have some type of mushroom as well. I also noticed these really small red looking spots of "hair". Maybe 6-7 of them which were not there when the rock was added to the tank. They're pretty small, look like maybe 2-3 strands of hair only about 1/8" in length and bright right.

Tags
build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com