Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Rummy's 65g Reef Build

To be honest it's going to be FOWLR for the time being and will then go to reef once I can upgrade lighting. I am trying to do all the right things I can for a reef setup so here's what I have going. There will be a lot of questions so bare with me.

I have cleaned the tank up with vinegar and water and rinsed it VERY well. The glass is nice and clean but the plastic for the overflow still has some build up on it. Is this going to be a problem or any thing you can recommend to clean it up further? I'll be painting the back and side of the overflow black.

Also there are (2) holes in the bottom of the overflow which I'd assume are for bulk heads. I don't have any plumbing for this so I'm curious what I should look into. I'd like for the return to possibly have two different outputs in the top of the tank?

I got a used RO/DI unit. I was told the filters were changed out about 6 months ago. Ran it for about 2.5 hours and got about 2.5 gallons out of it. Water pressure was about 76psi. I took samples into the LFS, tap water was 150ppm and RO was 0ppm so that was good. I'll be using Red Sea Pro Salt.

I don't know much about the skimmer at all. It says MTC on it and it looks like it was being pumped with a Mag 7 pump which I have and then a Mag 9.5 return pump. Does this sound right? I found that it's a model HSA-250. My plan is to use this skimmer sitting in a 20g breeder. Add some baffles with bubble trap so that the return pump isn't picking up any bubbles. Then try to run a separate tank above the 20g (probably a 5.5g) as a refugium. Thoughts? If I separated out the 20g with baffles to include a refugium it wouldn't be as large as what I could get out of the 5.5g tank over top of the 20g plus barely leave any room for the skimmer and return pump.

Lighting is my main problem right now. It has (4) 30" T12 VHO bulbs. (2) are Super Actinic and (2) are Super White. The ballast is an IceCap 430-008. Eventually I'd like to do a retro to the canopy and run (6) T5HOs with individual reflectors. Hopefully I have a little time before I need to do that?

Any and all input is welcome. I will be using 90lbs of CaribSea Sugar Sized Aragamax. I'm going to try and get the tank painted tomorrow and start making the RO water. I think I'm going to rinse the sand as best as I can and put it in the tank. Then start filling with mixed water I'll mix in buckets. After the tank settles down and clears up a bit I'll put in the live rock. Hoping to use around 100lbs or so.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
those lights you have are enough for medium light corals. you could start a reef immediately.
i wouldn't bother cleaning the tank any better. it's not going to matter.
i would add the live rock first and cycle the tank and then add the sand. put the rock on the glass bottom, then pour the sand around it.

here is what you need for the bottom of the overflow-
http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult...CategoryID=197

and here's what you need for the return-
http://www.locline.com/products/index.html

btw, i would not paint the back of the overflow. you'll not be able to see it from the viewing side, and you are going to want to see inside the overflow area. fish tend to jump in there and snails....

Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would the (6) T5HO setup be overkill or appropriate for this size tank?

I'm glad I don't have to get more of that stuff off. It was IMPOSSIBLE! I'm going to get the tank painted up today and back on the stand and start working on my sump and plumbing.

For tubing can I just use clear tubing from Lowe's in the plumbing section or is there something better? It's going to take a while to make the RO for the tank. Can anything go wrong with the saltwater if it's the only thing in the tank circulating by itself? I'm not exactly sure the date I'll be able to get the live rock but I'd like to be ready when that date comes.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

na..not overkill.
btw, i would not use clear tubing. try for the black. algae will build up easily inside the tubing if light is allowed in.
no..the tank can hold the salt water fine. it will be your final leak test!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great! Finally some type of plan on paper! Haha
Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Great info from Doug. I have some more. I have the same protein skimmer. Mine is designed to be in-sump and yours looks like it could go either inside or outside of the sump. I have a large (3" diameter) outflow on mine

There should be a small plastic handle on the bottom just above the base. It slides back and forth. That controls how much water enters the chamber and controls the height in the column. It can be a bit tricky to adjust it correctly, but once it's dialed in it rarely needs to be adjusted.

The small blue valve in the middle controls how much air goes into the chamber.
The down tube connected to that connects to a pump (Mag 9.5 is a good unit).

Once broken it you want the water column to be about 1" - 2" high in the upper chamber. That will produce anywhere from a tea colored skimmate to a dark sludge over a few days to a week depending on what and how often you feed.

Oh, monthly (or at least quarterly) remove the outside section and clean it. You need to unscrew the top and bottom unions, remove that middle section and then unscrew that section (yes the top and bottom are screwed together). Remove the inner piece and make sure the 4 holes are clear. Rinse all the pieces, and then put it all back together.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions or problems with that skimmer.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! That helped a ton! Will the mag 7 be an ok pump for it? That's what was being used on it previously. Then a mag 9.5 for the return. I thought that might return to much water but wasn't sure.

Also can the skimmer be ran with jut salt water being in the tank for a bit? Like i said before i wont have rock and sand in right away but i would like to check all plumping and make sure everything is running smoothly.

What would you guys recommend for power heads in the tank? I have two maxi jet 1200s which do 295gph.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

a couple seio prop pumps or koralias is what i would suggest. 700gph+ each probably.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
a couple seio prop pumps or koralias is what i would suggest. 700gph+ each probably.
What do you think of Coralife powerheads? I found one that does 750gph. I still need to stop by a marine shop I found to see what they stock.

I did make some progress. The tank was painted and put on the stand. Cleaned out the 65g tank and the 20g tank. Working on cutting acrylic baffles today and tomorrow. I'm hoping to get my plumbing sorted out today or tomorrow. I'd really like to get the tank filled with water and everything operating before Christmas.

I've attached my 20g long sump setup as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2043-B-1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	26520  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

if u are planning all the tank running before christmas, u might achieve that but if u are planning to have it run together with the fishes,i dont think thats a good idea....u need to cycle the tank before add any live stock in that tank....

Tags
build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com