Rusty Aagae HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All. Here's my tank: 75g, 3 1/2 inch CC and Sand bottom. Protein skimmer, Hang on back filter, 105pds live rock, 4 Damsels, 1 Percula Clown, 16 hermit cabs, baby anenome, 2 flame scallops, 1 horseshoe crab, and TONSSSSSSSSSS of rust looking algae!!

The ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are 0 and ph at 8.2.

I did a 20% water change the other night to help the problem, I scrubed the sides, i have vaccumed the bottom a few times and still have tons of algae. Clean it one day, and the next day it's back in spots all over the tank.

The shells are now brown as well as the scallp shells.

How can I get rid of it, or improve the situation??
The liverock is covered in it. Is this ok? If not, How should I clean it?

It's been like this about a week.

The lfs is no help. I need you guys and gals.

Help me please!!!!!!
Thanks.

Brown algaes = diatoms. In most cases caused through using tap water unless the tank is still on the newer side. If possible switch to a pure source of RO water. After a few water changes to reduce the silicates causing the diatoms they should subside on their own.

If you cannot access RO water, be sure to get a good quality granular PO4 sponge. It will help keep the silicates in check.

Cheers
Steve

Yes, I failed to mention that the tank is only 5 weeks old saturday. My levels have just reached the required level for the tank cycle. Would that have anything to do with this agae?

I went back to the lfs, and they said that it is because the tank is at the end of it's cycle, and that I should leave the algae alone, and that it would turn to green, and that it was good algae........whew...breathe....run on's.....is this true???

Algae = Good :?:

To a point mabye but most af the algaes you will encounter over the next few months will not be "good" except coralline or any macro algaes you add. On the flip side though this is all normal for a newer tank. As long as you keep up with regular water changes using SW made with RO and feed sparingly, they will be shortlived. I see no mention of snails in the animal list so I would definately get a few of those. For a starting 75 gal, 15-20 mixed types would do well. Cerith, nerite, nassarius, trochus and turbo to name a few. As the tank matures and the food supply grows, you can add more as needed.

A word of caution though! At five weeks, you are adding animals far too quickly for a new tank to keep up with. Slow down on the additions until the tank stabilizes some. IME, one fish a month after properly QTing will help keep the tank healthy. The anemone was an unwise addition at this point as well. Be absolutely sure you keep the water quality in check. Do you know the species?

Cheers
Steve

Actually I have 2 anenomes. One was attached to the live rock, so I kept it alone for about 3 weeks then added it to the tank. It is eating great through a syring (spelling?) and growing. The smaller one is about 1" in diameter and is a Aggregating Anemone.
The other is about 3 to 4 inches and is a Haitian Reef Anemone. They seem to be doing well, and all my levels are steady. Is there something else I should take into consideration when taking care of these anenomes?

Thanks for your help. :)

Just be sure you keep the NH3 and NO2 undetectable. If the nitrates creep up on you be sure you have well aged SW handy for water changes. Don't rely too much on direct feedings either. A few times a month is more than enough as long as you have enough light. The foods you feed the fish will feed the anemones just fine.

Keep tabs on the Anthopleura sp. They bud like bunnies :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve! Priceless info. Keep tabs on my post, I will probably need you again. :wink:

Blessings Friend!

revhtree, Glad you got the issue resolved. I dont want to seem like im being nitpicky but just wanted to make you aware of the potental problems with excessive puncuation. Many of us get new messages sent to us via e-mail. Since the poliferation of spammers many of us use spam filters that use rulesets to filter out messages. One of the more popular rulesets is to filter messages based on excessive puncuation. Thus often messages with excesive puncuation or all caps can end up going to our spam filters and we never see the message.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom