Sabea Anemone & hosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Driller31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a sabea anemone, I also have 4 different types of clowns, Maroon, Clarkii, Ocellaris, & Black...Will one of these Clowns eventually host the Anemone?? The Maroon has been hosting a Zoa that I have had for a while, will he turn that one away & eventually host the Anemone, or will one of the others take over the Anemone?? Also on feeding the Anemone, do I need to feed or does it get plenty from the Mysis, & Brine feeding??

One of them may decide to host it but it is more likely if you have a pair of mating Clowns. I doubt the Maroon would desert his Zoa. The Anenome will be fine with what it catches from the water coloum provided there is good lighting. What kind of lighting do you have?

48" T5 HO lighting. It moved maybe a couple of inches from were I placed it when I bought it...Does that mean he likes the spot he is in or what??

Seabae`s are very difficult anenomes to keep alive. They need high lighting. as for any clown there is the chance that they will not host an anenome. I had two and they would not. They did almost every coral but totally ignored the anenome. Eventually had to get rid of the anenome.

Why did you have to get rid of the Anemone? What if I bought maybe a Tomato Clown, they host these Anemone right?? I wonder if I could get credit at another LFS here for a trade maybe??

I recently bought a sabea anemone, I also have 4 different types of clowns, Maroon, Clarkii, Ocellaris, & Black...Will one of these Clowns eventually host the Anemone??
I would say it's a good bet that you will end up with 1 clown, maybe 2. The others will be killed. The maroon will get huge and probably be the only 1 alive. The clarkii can be mean and aggressive, so it may have a chance, but the ocellaris and black? (perc?) are too timid to stand up to either of those fish. They will be goners. A 55g tank is way too small for different types of clowns.

Also, there is no guarantee any clown will decide to pick any anemone as it's host. It can choose to be hosted by zoa's (as you see), by a leather coral, even a powerhead or piece of live rock.

My tomato clown host several corals but would not even think about the anenome.

My clown won't leave my poor hammer coral alone :eek:p it'll be all closed up after the lights are off and the clown is still hosting...

My clown won't leave my poor hammer coral alone :eek:p it'll be all closed up after the lights are off and the clown is still hosting...

Like this

100_1013.JPG

I am definately no genious, but all of these clownfish are the exact same size..There is no fighting at all in my tank..I would think they would grow at the same pace, and be basically the same size??They wouldn't learn to get along over time??They all actually stay in a school kind of, other than the Maroon he is constantly hosting the Zoa...But once again these fish since I bought them school together...

Maroons CAN be very aggresive towards other clowns. I wish you the best and hope all your fish get along great. but most likely your maroon clown will get more and more aggresive towards the other clowns.

+1 for the maroon aggression, they can get so aggressive that when you clean the tank and get near their host they will attack you, and they got teeth. All may be fine now, but down the road, it's almost a sure bet that their will be issues.

Yeah I have that Magnafloat thing that cleans the glass, and the Maroon clown does not like it, he actually picks at it when I clean...Maybe if issues arise in the future I will remove him, or maybe even trade or sell him...I hate to do that, he is a really dark nice looking Clown..

Back
Top Bottom