Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sadial's 24 Gallon Build

24G cube is up and running. Cycle is wrapping up. I'm looking critically at the rock work. I like how it LOOKS but I'm concerned about dead spots. Opinions if this is too much rock? The cave has 2 openings and the cavern is pretty large so the flow seems decent through the center. One thing that cracked me up about how this turned out - with the rounded sides on the cube, there is a lot of distortion. From one position, it looks like I've got a skull in there - maybe I should christen it Castle Gray Skull LOL.

Front:

Right Side:

Left Side:

Castle Gray Skull?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could always do a small powerhead.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueerfan View Post
You could always do a small powerhead.
Should the powerhead go with or against the current flow? I'm thinking mini tornado in there if it goes with it. If it goes against it would it muddy up? Such a small space to work with - not sure where to put it - but I think you're right.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try to get the flow to bounce off each other.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks - I'll try that.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hah! love the skull rock work Is that a texas holey rock in there?

As for flow you could possibly try to point the flows in opposite directions back to back so the flow wraps around the tank and crashes in the middle.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Right you are! I have 2 pieces of it in there. I'm drawn to it, very interesting rock!

I've ordered a small powerhead and will see what I can do with it. Right now I'm trying to figure out coral that will work with the LEDs I have running. I think sps are out of the question but reviews of this cube say most soft and lps coral are fine. I love the LEDs, only nit pick I have is that the lighting seems extremely blue.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Imo it looks like too much rock & you'd have dead spots. Maybe take a few rocks out too solve those issues and create more swimming room for the fish. Aquascaping is my least favorite part of setting up a tank That skull illusion is awesome though! Even with soft & LPS corals, it will be great. A little 425 koralia on the back wall would be enough.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Imo it looks like too much rock & you'd have dead spots. Maybe take a few rocks out too solve those issues and create more swimming room for the fish. Aquascaping is my least favorite part of setting up a tank That skull illusion is awesome though! Even with soft & LPS corals, it will be great. A little 425 koralia on the back wall would be enough.
After the stand for my 60G collapsed, I put what I could save into a 10G Q tank. It stayed that way for years. After my cycle completed in the cube, I put in the surviving mushroom coral into it. I was looking through equipment I used in the 60G and found a medium sized power head. It was like running a jet turbine in your garage. Mushrooms shriveled into miserable little raisins. It blasts the rocks more than moves the water. I have ordered a smaller power head but due to the large volume of rock to water in here, it's going to be tricky to find that sweet spot.

So, you're right. I'm going to have to scale back on the rock. I don't look forward to taking this apart but I see a bunch of problems and tricky maintenance issues if I don't :/

Over the past few days of studying this, I've discovered about 10 - 15 healthy ball anemones. The orange ones glow under the moonlights and I have pink and white ones. They have their own kind of beauty. I'm hoping latex gloves are going to protect my hands if they sting. Another thread in the ID section say they are aren't pests and don't cause problems but they make me nervous. Real estate in this tank is at a premium. This week, I discovered one eating a hitchhiker limpet! However, another one lives in harmony with a neighboring hitchhiker feather duster. I could swear they like each other. When fanned out the nems range in size from pencil erasure to quarter. Not sure what to do...
Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow what a nightmare. Sorry to hear about that. Did the tank leak because of the stand collapsing?

I had a 425 koralia in a 20 gallon and it was great.

It looks like they're not harmful if you feed them, otherwise they can go for small inverts/fish. Since you have so little room, if you want to get rid of them it's totally understandable.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24 gallon, build, gallon, sad

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com