Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Smile Sailfin addition

We recently added a sail fin to our tank. The tank has several corals, 2 cleaner shrimp, starfish, fox face, 2 small clowns and a coral beauty. Something has been eating our hammer coral and we are assuming it is the sail fin since it has only started since we added him. We were told they don't bother with the coral, though. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Vero2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You posted this in the fresh water section

How big of a tank is this?

The coral beauty would be the one to eat your coral. They are known for eating it. Tangs won't touch them.

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Yep, I have 5 tangs total now and have never had them eat corals or even nip at them. I do however have a blue hippo tang that hates frags and will hide them behind the rockwork. lol
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sailfin addition

Could be the Angel or the Foxface. I know someone who had to get rid of their Foxface because after a year of ignoring them, it suddenly decided Zoas were tasty.

Another possibility...could it be a pest of some kind? I lost a torch a few months back. Looked good for a while and just started dying off little by little. Nothing else showed signs of anything bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

fin, sailfin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com