sailfin tang in powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimi leigh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I've been having some issues with my powerheads - my sons anemone has gotten caught more than once but never seriously injured- as I normally catch it and unplug it - I had expected this as a possiblity because I've heard this from many friends.

This evening I found my Sailfin Tang sucked into the side of it! I had this fish for about a month and I know the LFS had it for at least 2 months before I purchased it...all in all appeared to be a very healthy happy fish - now a decessed one which I am terribly sad over - is there a way to prevent this from happening to anyone else in my tank?! My shrimps like to climb on them and the tang would pick at the algae on it and often host next to it - I feel terrible for not catching this in time (he was on a side where I couldn't see him, only spotted his mouth by chance)

I didn't see this fish post accident, my husband removed him because I was freaking out - but he assured me he was most definately dead and a victom of the powerhead...there is a guard on them but the problem appears to be with the side slats. They are Korella? 4's, and I have 2 in my 80 gallon.

now I've read many different things like "the fish must have been sick" and "this is extremely common and happens often, even to healthy fish" I would just like to know if anyone else has expierenced this and what they did to fix it.:confused:

I forgot to mention that one of the powerheads detached during the night from the suctioncup/magnet and I woke up to a hurricane about a week ago...I assumed this would have naturally stressed everyone out.

Isn't Koralia 4's kind of to much flow for an 80g tank? Not to mention 2...

I didn't see this fish post accident, my husband removed him because I was freaking out - but he assured me he was most definately dead and a victom of the powerhead...there is a guard on them but the problem appears to be with the side slats. They are Korella? 4's, and I have 2 in my 80 gallon.

now I've read many different things like "the fish must have been sick" and "this is extremely common and happens often, even to healthy fish" I would just like to know if anyone else has expierenced this and what they did to fix it.:confused:
You heard it before and it's true. A healthy fish, especially a tang, will not get sucked up by any powerhead. Tangs are very strong swimmers. I have 4 K-4's and 1 K-2 in my 125 and the tangs routinely pick at algae at the top, side and front of them. A few of my Bartlett's anthias hang around the K-4's and they don't even come close to being sucked in.
Now an anemone on the other hand is a different story. If it's wandering around your tank and not firmly attached to something, it's not happy. Anemone's don't "swim", so they can esily be sucked up by a powerhead if not firmly attached.

I agree with Larry. The fish was probably sick. I have had my snails and urching climb over my Koralias and not get stuck. What are your water parameters?

I have to agree also being the owner of three tangs. They are very strong swimmer and would have to be bad off to get stuck in the pump. They make sponges that cover the intakes of PH`s. If not yours then you can easily make one. That will protect your anenome.

hum, my husband talked to one of the lfs guys (not my usual fish guy who knows everything about my tank, he was out) and said could've been a freak accident. Finding myself slightly annoyed he didn't recommend the sponges!

my anemone no longer wanders, simply has in the past. I was told they will until they find their place and in many books I've read say some will wonder eternally because that is their nature. my water is fine and had it double checked when my husband went in with fish. But I am gonna do a pwc because I have little kids and am paranoid about foriegn things I can't test for making their way into the tank...

every other creature in this tank is thriving and that tang "seemed" very well adjusted and "appeared" well... but I'm researching that...

perhaps when the power head fell there was drama? There was a massive sand storm for I have no idea how long during the night from it and everyone was hiding behind rocks. He ate as actively as the others swimming right up to my hand or bastor when I fed them and had beautiful coloring and was often seen just swimming happily unless retreating to sleep.

thank you everyone.

I am really sorry for your lost. Sometimes things just happen that we can't explain. It sounds to me like you did your best and that is all we can ask of anyone. The rubber suction cups on that filter may have well been the cause of the problem. It might have made your fish panic and swim straight into the PH.

Isn't Koralia 4's kind of to much flow for an 80g tank? Not to mention 2...

I have 2 K4s in a 75 gallon and have no issues that I know off.

(I bounce them off the glass)

is this a concern?

Sorry for semi hijacking the thread with a question

Crossflow is a good way to cut down on turbulance in a tank. If you are not blowing your fish and sand all over the place then I say that's fine. So do you have corals? What type?

Back
Top Bottom