Salifert Magnesium test confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I'm kind of confused about the last step. See the pics below. Instructions say to pull the syringe until the lower black part is at 1.0 ml. There is an air bubble and then the liquid actually starts at .825 ml. I dripped it until the color changed, and the black part was at .15 ml. This means I have 1485 mg?? Or am I doing it wrong? My CA is 420, kh 7.

uploadfromtaptalk1425848789783.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1425848892461.jpg black part is at .15 ml. There is an air bubble, then the liquid is at 0 ml and there is some in the pink tip. Is MG normal at 1485?

The instructions say there is always an air bubble between the black part and solution. Just as long as there aren't any more along the syringe

It's fine, the air bubble is going to be there all the time because that tip you have to put on the siring e, but in the second picture there is not air bubble why?

It's fine, the air bubble is going to be there all the time because that tip you have to put on the siring e, but in the second picture there is not air bubble why?
If you look closely, there is an air bubble still, it's between the 0 ml and .15 ml mark

Ok then, is good. The mag seems a little high , but yes that air bubble is going to be there all the time because that tip, and doesn't affect the test result

I don't know, just wait a day or 2 and test again.... Should be fine, how the corals look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, just wait a day or 2 and test again.... Should be fine, how the corals look?

Corals are doing fine. Lost 6 of 8 heads of frog spawn, but I think that was because the alk was at 5 for days, then I added buffer powder direct to the tank, then changed kg from 5-11 instantly one day, then changed lights to led, then it fell. So yah, stressed it out a lot. All others except a plate is fine. But I don't know why it's high, I don't add MG.

Yeah those are too many changes in a short period of time, but the mag so high should be ok, my friend suggested me to got the mag to 1500, but I aim to 1300/1350, just wait a couple of days and test again, I don't know about lowering mag , most of the time is the opposite, maybe a water change...

View attachment 266755 black part is at .15 ml. There is an air bubble, then the liquid is at 0 ml and there is some in the pink tip. Is MG normal at 1485?

I get this as well with a potassium test. Will have to re-read to see if the air bubble is expected.

I've been tapping the air bubble out and then re-filling/re-tapping until gone.

A syringe that was 2ml would seem to make life so much easier.

Off the top of my head, I don't think the air bubble was the same size either each time.

Also calcium and alk are like that... The instruction say the air bubble is normal..... If you stop the end of the piston at 1ml mark, your reading is going to be at the end of the piston not the end of the fluid, air bubble is normal due to the tip you have to install at the end of the siringe

Also if you look at the air bubble in pics 1 is bigger than the one on pic 2, never happened to me, usual I the air bubble is the same from start to finish,is nothing to get confuse about, I think that fluid missing is in the pink tip

Also if you look at the air bubble in pics 1 is bigger than the one on pic 2, never happened to me, usual I the air bubble is the same from start to finish,is nothing to get confuse about, I think that fluid missing is in the pink tip
Yes,, thanks for your help. I think you're right, the fluid is in the tip, so the calculation should be right. I will wait a few days and test. It shouldn't be at 1485. Coral pro salt is 1340. Something is off

Back
Top Bottom