Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

This may sound dumb, but I have been using straight tap water conditioned for Chlorine since day 1. I have had no problems, and no major algae blooms eaither. I live in N. Georgia, and we have pretty good water. I get mine straight from the faucet.

Maybe in the future I will get a RO filter, but for now.....well....you know.

All of my test check out fine.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #12

water from the tap is not good to use, you may take the chlorine out but theres alot of bad things in that water that are left in ,if you can't get ro water then use distiled water from the store ,the publix brand water is only 60 cents per gallon and the red labled bottle states on it r.o water
Old 08-17-2004, 04:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second that.. there may be many impurities in the tap water that you don't have test kits for and will never know what's building up until it's too late and things start to die.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought my tap water was fine, used it for the initial fill.
But my tap water has a pH of 7.8, and 8dKh...which gave me problems like a pH that wouldn't go over 7.9, and low calcium lvl's. I can't explain the science except that it had to do with magnesium levels, which somehow control how much calcium can dissolve in the water.
now that I use R/O, my levels are all good for FOWLR...but now I gotta start a kalk drip and a little bit of Kent super buffer to prepare to go full reef.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well my PH has always stayed around 8.2, and I have had no problems as of yet. The coral is growing. My first anemone is as big as ever and healthy.

I will heed to your advice though. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #16

Believe it or not I use kent buffer once a month when I do a water change and my water stays crystal clear and my ph stays at 8.4
I used tap water at one time also and boy did I pay the price, now only R o or distiled from strore
Old 08-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

How exactly did you "pay the price?"

I am not arguing that this is bad, I am now getting scared. 8O

What can it do to your tank?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:03 AM   #18

Well, from the looks of it, my fish store seems pretty trustworthy. I am not too worried about them.

Although I did notice a dead puffer in one of their tanks. I notified them immediately and it was gone. Their prices are a bit high but the advice they give isn't always in line with making money, rather more in line with what I have "researched" so far. They do have that damsel cycling idea though that seems generally condemned here.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:13 AM   #19

Well poor quility water can cause your fish to dye do to the chemicals that are added into the water, don't get scared if there doing ok then look at it as you learned something and you didn't loose any fish
so from this point on use good water, your fish or corals will thank you and be alot happier plus you wont have to worry about any chemicals in the water
My father kept doing the same thing after I told him not to use water from the tap
he didn't listen until one by one his fish were dying or were no where to be found then he started having a problem with ammonia and ph ,I advised him at that point drain the tank since all your fish are dead and start over with new water, ro or bottled ,he di and now everything is fine
Old 08-18-2004, 07:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ummm... sorry to ask this question after so many (good) replies, but...
if your salinity is 1.026, why do you want to get it down???

For a reef 1.025 is ideal, 1.026 is certainly "close enough". Mine seems pretty healthy ranging from 1.024 - 1.026 over the 2-week 10% water change cycle....

Tags
salinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com