Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First your salinity levels should be about 1.021 and 1.023 is what most people recommend

this for fish only ! most keep it low to slow down ick ect... thats the only reason i know of !! i keep all mine at 1.025 and dont have issues :)

Thanks for the info ,I might keep mine where it is only because I have tangs and they get ick real quick, so far had it once and never got it again , its been about a year and all is well

Yeah, I go to several fish stores and they keep thier fish only tanks at 1.018 saliinty and thier reef at 1.023. I was told that it prevents parasite outbreaks and speeds up the cycle of the parasites. NOT THAT I AGREE, but I have gone to several places and they keep it that way.

Thanks for the info, I don't keep mine that low, I keep at 021 ,thinking of going to 022 since I have three tangs that are prown to ick

scuba_steve said:
this for fish only ! most keep it low to slow down ick ect
EXVISOR19641964 said:
I keep at 021 ,thinking of going to 022 since I have three tangs that are prown to ick
Since C. irritans is unaffected unless the salinity/SG levels are dropped to 1.009 (14-16 ppt), I am curious how everyone thinks anything above that will have any effect what-so-ever :?: :?:

Cheers
Steve

Don't know, searching for the same answers ,just want it to be the right way but keep hearing all kinds of different info

Back to the point oof your original question. If your tank has been running sucessfully for over a year; why do you want to change any thing?

steve-s said:
scuba_steve said:
this for fish only ! most keep it low to slow down ick ect
EXVISOR19641964 said:
I keep at 021 ,thinking of going to 022 since I have three tangs that are prown to ick
Since C. irritans is unaffected unless the salinity/SG levels are dropped to 1.009 (14-16 ppt), I am curious how everyone thinks anything above that will have any effect what-so-ever :?: :?:

Cheers
Steve

that is what i was thinking. i know this topic has been up many times. but if you have been fine for years then keep it at the place it is. there is no need for change if things are going fine.

I keep my reef and FO between 1.024 - 1.026 using a Refract; the colors are better, the skimmer skims more too. You can take the issue a little bet further by looking at both the water and salt you fill the tank with, start with RO/DI water and use a high quality salt from www.aquacraft.net. :)

Take care.

I keep my tank at 1.022-1.023 a FOWLR and everything looks great. I use a Refract too.
I was thinking to slowly raise to 1.025 cause I want to add corals a few months down the road.

The last fish I bought from my LFS had a SG of 1.020

IMO a year isn't that long and you would still be doing your livestock a favour by raising the salinity up to NSW levels.

Back
Top Bottom