Salinity???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Topping off with sw for a few days until you hit the level you want IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree just check constantly... Do you have a way to check salinity?

Refracometer but I think I'm going to get a sl2 for my reef keeper.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I put a powerhead in my top off and dumped some salt in.

How long can you get away with a lower salinity level (while using ato to slowly creep it up)? And what is the best salinity level for a reef tank and why?

How long can you get away with a lower salinity level (while using ato to slowly creep it up)? And what is the best salinity level for a reef tank and why?

Before I say this - I've read this while researching on many sites, I'm new to SW so it's not from experience:

Natural saltwater is 1.026. Some hobbyists like to keep their salinity at this because it is natural. I also find that hobbyists with reef tanks find that 1.024-1.025 is acceptable. Many LFS keep their salinity lower, usually between 1.020-1.023 to reduce the risk of parasites and to keep more oxygen in the water for the fish.

So it depends if you're keeping a FOWLR tank or a reef tank. The conclusion I have come up with is that between 1.024-1.026 is best for reef tanks.

+1. I agree with Alyxandria. I've kept a nano reef tank for..near 4 years now. That coupled with my own research, I'd say that all of her conclusions are correct. On fact, I keep my specific gravity pretty close to 1.026.

Just one thing to be aware of:
Salinity is a measure of salt content, but specific gravity is a measure of salt content IN RELATION to temperature, which is what we actually measure with hydrometers and refractometers. :)

Yeah my hydrometer is 0.002 off of my Refracometer.

What do you guys think about if I start making a batch of s/w tonight get my power head heater going and get my salinity on point for a w/c on Friday? Is it okay to use that water if it's sitting mixing till Friday? I've been making my s/w for a few weeks and I think my salinity went off because I didn't allow it to mix long enough before I checked lithe level so I'm thinking about making the s/w earlier in the week to be sure my salinity is on point. What do you guys think?

What is the safest, simplest way to raise salinity?

wait for evaporation to occur then add sw with desired salinity

or remove decent amount of water and add extra salt to the water and add back slowly, monitoring increase along the way

What do you guys think about if I start making a batch of s/w tonight get my power head heater going and get my salinity on point for a w/c on Friday? Is it okay to use that water if it's sitting mixing till Friday? I've been making my s/w for a few weeks and I think my salinity went off because I didn't allow it to mix long enough before I checked lithe level so I'm thinking about making the s/w earlier in the week to be sure my salinity is on point. What do you guys think?

You can do this for sure just be sure to keep a lid on whatever you are using to mix the water (assuming bucket) so that the least amount of evaporation occurs. Make sure to test the salinity again on Friday before you use the water. If any evaporation occurs your salinity will rise. A simple top off with RO water will fix this. :)

Sweet, I have a 10 gallon drinking water jug with lid. The threads are big so I can stil screw the lid on lightly.

I'm hopefully going to start my first reef (or saltwater tank for that matter) this Christmas and I'm really confused about salinity now... Can someone please PM me and explain about maintaining salinity etc in the briefest easy-to-understand way? I understand the basic concept but I'm still confused about refractometers and mixing your own water vs buying premixed. Thanks to whoever PMs me!

NatureFish
????

Picked up a digital refrac today it's on point with the manual Refracometer.

Back
Top Bottom