Salinity and Specific Gravity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

movinweight

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The age old question of what is a good salinity and SG? Also...I am using a Sea Test Hydrometer, does anyone know what type of correction needs to take place for this hydrometer as far as temperature goes? I think it might be time to get a refractometer

I think it might be time to get a refractometer

You can get some pretty good deals on refractometers, I would definetely make the upgrade.

As far as SG, I would say that its dependant on the system you are running.

FO ~ 1.020.
FOWLR ~ 1.023
REEF ~ 1.025

My thoughts anyway... HTH

thanks for all your help!! I am running a reef setup, but I was also wondering if there is any type of temperature compensation i need to think about with my Sea Test Hydrometer when I check my SG. I have read that depending on the standard setup temp for hydros, my SG might be way off from what I am reading on it. Anyone heard about this or know what I need to take into consideration before i get my refracto in?

Yup, those are calibrated based on a certain temp range...usually a range of typical tank temps (some one correct me if I'm wrong), so if you are measuring cold water, you will get a different reading if measuring at hotter temps. I learned this when I did my 1st water change and mixed cold water with my salt. Once it warmed up, I had a totally different reading...I'm not sure how different it was, but it was noticeable....

Back
Top Bottom