Salinity help needed!!! Measurements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krissycakes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to the beach and found some hermits. I would like to keep them alive. But don't know how much salt to add per gallon. I will be keeping them in a gallon container. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

I went to the beach and found some hermits. I would like to keep them alive. But don't know how much salt to add per gallon. I will be keeping them in a gallon container. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

No instructions on the box/bucket? What salt are you using?

Is that like table salt??? You need to use aquarium salt! You will need much more than the right salt to keep those guys alive in a gallon jug I am afraid :) loads to research before jumping into that...

I'd go put the hermits back they will not last long in a gallon jug. You will need a marine grade salt if you want to attempt this

Is that like table salt??? You need to use aquarium salt! You will need much more than the right salt to keep those guys alive in a gallon jug I am afraid :) loads to research before jumping into that...

Hawaiian salt is ocean water that gets dried out by the sun. Figured that by rehydrating it, it could somewhat replicate the ocean. Also I don't mind if they die, I picked them for their shells they inhabited. Just wouldn't mind trying to keep them alive. I have a guilt issue when it comes to taking shells with crabs in them. I have a 3G, 3.5G, or 20G I can put them in. But I won't be home till Friday. So right now I am trying to make do with what I have temporarily.

My grandmother brought me some ocean water after she got off work, I now have them in a cooler temporarily. Going to place a air pump in when I get to my brothers. They look a lot happier.

ForumRunner_20131205_184156.jpg

Krissycakes said:
Also I don't mind if they die, I picked them for their shells they inhabited.I have a guilt issue when it comes to taking shells with crabs in them. .
Hermit crab or not you shouldnt be going along picking animals up just for your leisure. Its upsetting to see that someone can be so lax about purposefully killing animals just for a shell. Why dont you just either find empty shells or buy them... Thats alot better than harvesting live ones only to let them die

Boy Huma I couldn't agree with you more. I was thinking the same thing about how callous that response was.

Hermit crab or not you shouldnt be going along picking animals up just for your leisure. Its upsetting to see that someone can be so lax about purposefully killing animals just for a shell. Why dont you just either find empty shells or buy them... Thats alot better than harvesting live ones only to let them die

And just to let you all know. Hawaii has an over grown population of hermits. What I did is nothing compared to Real life problems. I just did the pond a favor so that the fish have more food. Hermit crabs are everywhere. And buying shells is ridiculous, I would never buy shells when I am surrounded by them. Thanks for not helping the situation and just point your fingers at me. Enjoy your day. The hermits are still alive because I do have a heart. And took care of them with what I had at hand. So keep your negativity to yourself it isn't helpful or wanted=) Have a better day!

And just to let you all know. Hawaii has an over grown population of hermits. What I did is nothing compared to Real life problems. I just did the pond a favor so that the fish have more food. Hermit crabs are everywhere. And buying shells is ridiculous, I would never buy shells when I am surrounded by them. Thanks for not helping the situation and just point your fingers at me. Enjoy your day. The hermits are still alive because I do have a heart. And took care of them with what I had at hand. So keep your negativity to yourself it isn't helpful or wanted=) Have a better day!
that's neither an excuse or reason to just harvest them for your pleasure. Nor is it "negativitiy, it's honesty. Where I live has a huge stray cat problem, you don't see me rounding them up and killing them for my benefit, hermit crabs are no different. If you can't respect wildlife enough to not needlessly kill, you may want to reconsider your interests. I'm not attempting (or desiring) and arguement with you, you posted on a public forum and I voiced my opinions.

that's neither an excuse or reason to just harvest them for your pleasure. Nor is it "negativitiy, it's honesty. Where I live has a huge stray cat problem, you don't see me rounding them up and killing them for my benefit, hermit crabs are no different. If you can't respect wildlife enough to not needlessly kill, you may want to reconsider your interests. I'm not attempting (or desiring) and arguement with you, you posted on a public forum and I voiced my opinions.

Well your opinion is not relevant. Please move on to the next thread. We have a stray cat problem here too and they are killing off our native birds. Our communities are working to have them euthanized. Doesn't that sound cruel? Besides stray cats do not have much to offer you. Hermits inhabit shells and if you really want me to. I will eat them, just to prove that they will not die in vain. =)

Again, controlling a population (hunting deer, euthanizeing problematic animals) is completely different than what you are doing but nonetheless, arguing with someone is like trying to convince a wall it's not a wall. I'll gladly move onto the next thread. My opinions and points have been made.

Normally 1/2 cup per gallon.

I am using hawaiian salt. (I live in hawaii lol) Generally used for drying fish.

Thank you guys for staying on topic. Others just try to voice their opinions when the Question was stated. Thank you both for valid responses. I come to AAdvice for Advice. Not opinions from others about irrelevance. Good to know there are actual helpful people on here.

Again, controlling a population (hunting deer, euthanizeing problematic animals) is completely different than what you are doing but nonetheless, arguing with someone is like trying to convince a wall it's not a wall. I'll gladly move onto the next thread. My opinions and points have been made.

Think of it as controlling their population. Which is what I did. Sorry that you could not provide and answer. And just an opinion about a different topic. Next time give advice. That is what this site is for. My life will go on. =) *Peace

Think of it as controlling their population. Which is what I did. Sorry that you could not provide and answer. And just an opinion about a different topic. Next time give advice. That is what this site is for. My life will go on. =) *Peace

Just wondering you said eating them. Are they any good? Lol

Krissy I have to say that I disagree with just about every think you say. And Huma happens to be a valuable contributor to this forum to which it doesn't seem you are.

Krissy I have to say that I disagree with just about every think you say. And Huma happens to be a valuable contributor to this forum to which it doesn't seem you are.

I come here for advice. Not opinions. You may disagree with me. But I haven't got an answer from you either about why I even posted this thread. Stay on topic please. =)

Back
Top Bottom