Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

salinity question

So I set up my 45g FOWLR tank this weekend and have started the cycling process. Question that I have is I followed the instructions on the salt mix of adding 1/2 cup of salt per gallon and added RO water to the tank 2 gallons at a time. My hydrometer seems to be reading very low. I even added more salt trying to get the salinity level to raise and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I moved the hydrometer from one side of the tank to the other. Refilled it a couple times and it reads the same level.

Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	254067

Old 10-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncscuba View Post
So I set up my 45g FOWLR tank this weekend and have started the cycling process. Question that I have is I followed the instructions on the salt mix of adding 1/2 cup of salt per gallon and added RO water to the tank 2 gallons at a time. My hydrometer seems to be reading very low. I even added more salt trying to get the salinity level to raise and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I moved the hydrometer from one side of the tank to the other. Refilled it a couple times and it reads the same level.

Any suggestions?

Attachment 254067
Some online reviews suggest that it may be getting stuck or simply be not working correctly. Have you tried measuring the salinity of tap water or RO water to see if it moves?

Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

For starters, which brand salt are you using ? I don't recall whose is whose in the mix ratio of manufacturers. And as I understand, you used all RO to complete the mix/fill process ? It still appears a little cloudy from adding the water so maybe giving it a few hours to settle will help as well.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hydrometers are inaccurate, you should strongly consider a refractometer

Tags
question, salinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com