Salinity Refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read how lots of people say there is nothing else to check salinity with. Are they hard to use? I understand you put a couple drops of water on it then look through but what are you comparing it to? Do they need calibrated often and is that hard?
Thanks,
Mike

Just got one. Can't speak of how often it need to be calibrated, but distilled water and less than 2 minutes to do it. There is a scale in the view finder and it'll tell you what you need to know - exactly where you are. 2 or 3 drops of your tank water on the glass, close it and look towards the light (or spend more to get built in light). Takes no time at all.

Nice tool to have. Beats dipping the swing arm or floating hydrometers.

Yessssss, Salinity Refractometer is worth the money, when you get once and for those of us stupidly got the "floating hydrometers" we wonder how we dealt with all the hassle.

highly recommended!

as said, they arent hard to use at all. calibrating isnt hard either. ive had mine for awhile and just had to do it the first time... hth :)

rguy,
Increased concentration of salt will cause light to bend more aggressively.

I think you lost me here....does that effect the refracto reading?

how much the light bends throught the water gives you the reading. Here is a good one that I know everyone likes to be asked. What is proper salinity and SG for a reef aquarium?

I think you lost me here....does that effect the refracto reading?

Yes. That's what gives us the measurement as movinweight mentioned. I was just pointing out how it worked.

What is proper salinity and SG for a reef aquarium?

I just posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here too. It's only my opinion though....not to be taken as verbatim.

FO ~ 1.020.
FOWLR ~ 1.023
REEF ~ 1.025

Yes. That's what gives us the measurement as movinweight mentioned. I was just pointing out how it worked.

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

Back
Top Bottom