Salinity testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
To those just getting started with SW tanks. Please do not trust the hydrometers. I had three of them. Each were giving me different readings on the same tank. I know they are cheap but spend the extra money and get you a salinity refractometer. It is very accurate and save you a lot of grief.

There are 2 types of hydrometers and the inaccurate ones are the floating needle style. The float inside the hydrometer will trap small bubbles giving a false reading. Almost always. They are fine where accuracy is not important like the S.G of a car battery. The other type are quite accurate and are the floating bulb hydrometer. The entire bulb floats higher or lower depending on the S.G. Unfortunately I have never seen one scaled for aquariums. The ranges we are interested in are about 1/4 inch or less on the scale. That
Makes it hard to tell the difference between 1.02 and 1.03.
Refractometers come in a variety of scales including the aquarium range.

Ingy said:
There are 2 types of hydrometers and the inaccurate ones are the floating needle style. The float inside the hydrometer will trap small bubbles giving a false reading. Almost always. They are fine where accuracy is not important like the S.G of a car battery. The other type are quite accurate and are the floating bulb hydrometer. The entire bulb floats higher or lower depending on the S.G. Unfortunately I have never seen one scaled for aquariums. The ranges we are interested in are about 1/4 inch or less on the scale. That
Makes it hard to tell the difference between 1.02 and 1.03.
Refractometers come in a variety of scales including the aquarium range.

Awesome thanks for explaining it

Back
Top Bottom