salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
One week now into the first cycle of the tank. when do I do my first water change? and do i need to buy new salt and add some to the new water before putting into the tank?

I know silly question.. i want to make sure i do the right thing.

deppends on what you have in the tank. Do you have alot of good LR, or is it uncured (base)? hopefully you don't have any fish yet.

If you have alot of rock with life on it you may want to do periodic water changes. If it's just base rock then i'd throw a peice of raw shrimp in (if not done already) and let the tank go on it's own for about six weeks. at that time you should test your water perameters. if all is ok, then you can add a (1) fish, and a clean up crew. Then you should wait another week, or two, and add some more live stock. No more than one to two fish every couple of weeks.

Back to the piont at hand. After the tank cycles 6 weeks later, start your 10-20% water changes weekly. after the tank starts to mature you may be able to move to a bi-weekly bassis.

Yes when you make new water you need to add salt. Make sure you have a Refractometer, or a cheap hydrometer, and bring the Specific Gravity (SG) to between 1.024-1.026, no lower than 1.023. mix it in a little at a time till it comes to the disired SG, the let it mix with a power head and heater for 24 hrs before doing your water change.

Not a silly question. Thanks for asking first :p

I agree with reefraff. Just let your tank go for a while. you my need to do water top-offs to account for evaporation. When just topping-off and not doing water changes use fresh water, not saltwater. the salt does not evaporate so if you add salt to your top-offs you will greatly increase your salinity...not good. What is your water source? Hope this helps...Lando

Back
Top Bottom