salt advice needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I understand that reef salts have added trace elements that will stimulate the growth of corals. does the added benefits carry over to the anemones and inverts? I just started a 30gal tank with some live rocks and a few hermit crabs and snails, so obviously a reef salt is good to have but not a necessity. I do plan to get some corals later on down the road once i get into the hobby more, so i'm just planning out a bit here. Do people have a preference for Kent or Instant Ocean? i was recommended Kent by a member here

in the first link for Kent reef salt, i don't understand why a 5.3lb buck costs more than the 58lb box even though they're both for 200gal. Am I missing something?

Amazon.com: Kent Marine 02111 Reef Salt Mix, 200 Gallon Mix: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Instant Ocean Reef Crystal Sea Salt Marine Mix, 200-Gallon: Pet Supplies

I think that might be a type-o

I think it should be a 53lb bucket and not 5.3

53 lb bucket makes 160 gallons
58 lb box makes 200 gallons

That is Instant Ocean anyway.

If you shop around you can find the 58 lb box cheaper than the 53 lb bucket.

assuming it's a typo and should be 53lb instead of 5.3lb. does the price depend on whether you get it in buckets or boxes? apparent Kent uses bucket for the 53lb version whereas boxes for 58lb version. i was told that in the 58lb version, it's a box with 4 bags, each bag about 14lb of salt

I find boxes are cheaper at my local store. Any of the reef grade salts should be fine for you. Reef crystals would be the reef grade salt Instant Ocean puts out. The regular IO is just for fish only. Yes, some of the trace elements are used by inverts.

Buy a bucket of salt first, then when you have enough buckets (invaluable) start refilling them with the boxed and bagged salt.

But yeah mr. X is right about buying from a lfs, I get my reef crystals by instant ocean for $50

But yeah mr. X is right about buying from a lfs, I get my reef crystals by instant ocean for $50
I'm sorry, but maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that boxes of salt seem to be cheaper than buckets, at my LFS. I don't care where you buy them from.

I'm sorry, but maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that boxes of salt seem to be cheaper than buckets, at my LFS. I don't care where you buy them from.

It doesn't come with a $5 plastic bucket and lid, that's why boxed salt is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom