Salt aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thinking of doing salt water. I currently have Malawi cichlids and another freshwater tank.

Do I need a certain tank for this. I know I'll need a protein skimmer and things but would I need a sump and so on. Thanks

Hi a 'normal' tank is all that's required:) The main difference obviously being adding salt to the water,also most salt water tanks rely on 'living rock' to filter the tank,with usually high turn over rates, lighting depends on what you want to keep, a protein skimmer is a must in my opinion. The main difference is in keeping the water more stable as marines are not used to fluctuations in water quality. Also most marine keepers use R/O water as its pure and will not add any thing it shouldn't:)

And what do you mean by the turnover. Do you mean I'd need to change the live rock over quiet often?
And what's R/O water?
Thanks for the help :)

Hi turn over = turning over the water volume of the tank with pumps,simply pumping the water round the tank. For example if the tank is 100 litres, ideally you would have 'circulation pumps' that could pump a 1,000 litrs per hour, i know it sounds scarily fast but it keeps the water moving round the living rock,which as far as know last a long time - but do not know for sure:)
R/O = Reverse Osmosis,the water is passed through a very fine membrane making it pure! Usually sold at your local shop fairly cheaply?

Ok yeah I get you now! Similar to the freshwater. A certain amount needs to filter every hour.
And can I buy something for reverse osmosis at home?
I'd like FOWLR tank rather than reef less work I think? And what's a good stater size?

Hi like any aquarium the bigger the better:),but obviously cost is a prime factor aswell:) Yes FOWLR a great way to start,get some hardy fish and it can be dare i say very similar to a tropical set up in regards to maintenance:) You can get R/O units for home use,the initial cost is quite dear but will give you plenty of water,plus if you got tropicals they may benefit from using it aswell,but with tropicals it needs re mineralising,in salt water tanks the salt mix does this for you:)

The bigger the tank the better, and easier. Its easier because a small mistake will not result in a big problem. The water also doesnt get polluted as easily. Cycle the tank without fish. RO is good, but make sure to get a RODI. reverse osmosis de-ionizer. Yes FOWLRs are much cheaper, and easier. Still very beautiful. If you want to eventually go reef (Im actually in the middle of it right now) then stock accordingly. GL!!!!! Any questions are welcome!

Back
Top Bottom