Salt cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
I come to you all knowing salties for an answer to this one.

I have a BW tank and use reef salt for my mix. It's a bucket, Tropic Marin Pro Reef mix.

Here's my question:

How do you keep it from caking?

I have to chisel it out when I need to mix. I keep the inner plastic bag shut and seal down the lid to no avail. Salt cakes abound.

If it's caking up it means moisture is getting into the bucket somehow - either through a leak in the seal or even if you store it in a high-humidity environment when you seal it up you're sealing all that moisture in the air in there with it.

if you aren't mixing large amounts (making 50 gallons of water at a time for a large system) of that caked up salt, you should consider throwing it away. it doesn't mix right once it's all clumped up like that.

If it's caking up it means moisture is getting into the bucket somehow - either through a leak in the seal or even if you store it in a high-humidity environment when you seal it up you're sealing all that moisture in the air in there with it.

I figured there was moisture getting in. I know regular table salt you can add grains of rice or a saltine cracker and not get clumping, any ideas how to fix this?

I can live with it, but if there's something I can do to avoid chiseling, I'm all ears.

if you aren't mixing large amounts (making 50 gallons of water at a time for a large system) of that caked up salt, you should consider throwing it away. it doesn't mix right once it's all clumped up like that.

It's an 80g tank, I only mix a little bit at a time to keep my SG at 1.015(ish)

I've had the bucket for about a year, my sister in law gave it to me when I started the tank. She barely used any of it before tearing down her reef. It still mixes good, I swish with my mixer a few times and no particles are left unmixed. The Red Sea salt I had left all kinds of mess.

mixes good according to what? your eye, or your test kits? what i mean by not mixing right is that the levels can be way off.

Ah ok. Since it's BW, I only monitor SG, pH, ammonia, nitrAtes and nitrItes. My usual run of tests before I do water changes on any of our tanks (except SG on the others).

Back
Top Bottom