Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
well if you cover it wouldnt that make the temp inside the sump go up there for making the water evaporate quicker?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But my heater wouldn't run as much if it was warmer, so the temp would stay the same

Old 07-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok i'll put it like this evaporation is always going to happen theres nothing really you can do about it
Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I'm going to keep losing 3-5 gallons from my sump every day no matter what I do?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

How large of a system? That's a lot of evaporation. You sure you don't have a leak somewhere? Checked your salinity yet? Obviously if it's low you've got a leak somewhere. JMO.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimzebras
I lose a lot more, could I put a cover on my sump or something? That's where I'm losing all my water.
You say you are losing the water from the sump,but if it is working correctly you are actually losing it from your DT.Your sump water level will drop because it is keeping your DT level consistent .We all have this problem,especially if you have MH's like I do. You will find the amount will vary throughout the year depending
On weather conditions.I would make sure your heater is set to 78.Your temp will go up some daily with lights on,of course.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

if he had a leak of 3-5 gallons per day theres no way no one would not notice that lol
Old 07-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
You say you are losing the water from the sump,but if it is working correctly you are actually losing it from your DT.Your sump water level will drop because it is keeping your DT level consistent .We all have this problem,especially if you have MH's like I do. You will find the amount will vary throughout the year depending
On weather conditions.I would make sure your heater is set to 78.Your temp will go up some daily with lights on,of course.

very well said i have metal halides on my new tank and i try to keep the temp at 80 but it usually goes up to 82 degrees during the day when the lights are on and im constantly putting water into my sump to make up for evap im building an auto top off
Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck

very well said i have metal halides on my new tank and i try to keep the temp at 80 but it usually goes up to 82 degrees during the day when the lights are on and im constantly putting water into my sump to make up for evap im building an auto top off
My temp. Usually ends up at 82 by the end of the day to ,but I only have to add a half gallon more water to sump daily.I do keep the house around 74 degrees though,so that might help.Like it cool.LOL
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well when I said I'm losing it from my sump I mean the water is evaporating from there. And I'll try to keep my temp in the lower range if that'll help, oh and u don't see any leaks

Tags
cree, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com