Salt creep and evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Us there a way to prevent salt creep and/or evaporation? Because it never used to be a problem but then I set up a sump and now I have both problems really badly! Any ideas would be really great! I'm worried.
Thanks in advance!

why are you worried? evaporation is going to happen no matter what you do

But could I slow it down? it was never a real problem before...

whats your temp? higher temps make your water evap quicker

well thats not really all that bad but evaporation is something we all have to deal with it might be your house temp too just have to deal with it i lose maybe 1-2 gallons a day on my tank

I lose a lot more, could I put a cover on my sump or something? That's where I'm losing all my water.

You could try to contain it by glass or plastic tops but that's about the only way I can think of, routine cleaning is the best way to keep salt creep to a minimum

if you cover up that sump it might evaporate even more

well if you cover it wouldnt that make the temp inside the sump go up there for making the water evaporate quicker?

But my heater wouldn't run as much if it was warmer, so the temp would stay the same

ok i'll put it like this evaporation is always going to happen theres nothing really you can do about it

So I'm going to keep losing 3-5 gallons from my sump every day no matter what I do?

How large of a system? That's a lot of evaporation. You sure you don't have a leak somewhere? Checked your salinity yet? Obviously if it's low you've got a leak somewhere. JMO.

Swimzebras said:
I lose a lot more, could I put a cover on my sump or something? That's where I'm losing all my water.

You say you are losing the water from the sump,but if it is working correctly you are actually losing it from your DT.Your sump water level will drop because it is keeping your DT level consistent .We all have this problem,especially if you have MH's like I do. You will find the amount will vary throughout the year depending
On weather conditions.I would make sure your heater is set to 78.Your temp will go up some daily with lights on,of course.

if he had a leak of 3-5 gallons per day theres no way no one would not notice that lol

You say you are losing the water from the sump,but if it is working correctly you are actually losing it from your DT.Your sump water level will drop because it is keeping your DT level consistent .We all have this problem,especially if you have MH's like I do. You will find the amount will vary throughout the year depending
On weather conditions.I would make sure your heater is set to 78.Your temp will go up some daily with lights on,of course.

very well said i have metal halides on my new tank and i try to keep the temp at 80 but it usually goes up to 82 degrees during the day when the lights are on and im constantly putting water into my sump to make up for evap im building an auto top off

hackteck said:
very well said i have metal halides on my new tank and i try to keep the temp at 80 but it usually goes up to 82 degrees during the day when the lights are on and im constantly putting water into my sump to make up for evap im building an auto top off

My temp. Usually ends up at 82 by the end of the day to ,but I only have to add a half gallon more water to sump daily.I do keep the house around 74 degrees though,so that might help.Like it cool.LOL

Well when I said I'm losing it from my sump I mean the water is evaporating from there. And I'll try to keep my temp in the lower range if that'll help, oh and u don't see any leaks

Back
Top Bottom