Salt creep on Power Lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Came home last night to find half my power outlet strip burnt black due to salt creep/wetness on one of my lighting power cords. I pulled the power cord out and found it burnt crisp, with a wet, slimey residue. Luckily, the other equipment were not effected by this burnout, and there are no signs of a fire aside from the one outlet on the strip. After pulling all the power cords out of the power strip, I found a couple had salt on or around the metalic prongs or were a bit wet.

I guess my question is: are there any techniques to help prevent the salt and water from moving down the power cords, aside from routine checks and cleanings?

As Ray said it’s imperative to use drip loops and I’ll reiterate that the use of a GFCI (Ground force circuit interrupter) is highly recommended along with a Titanium Grounding Probe to eliminate the possibility of shocking you or your stock.

driploopbd5.gif

Definitely go with the drip loops. I also agree on the placement. You are luvky you caught it in time, otherwise you could have had a major issue. I would cleant off the prongs, since the SW will most likely rust the metal. You might want to replace the power strips as well.
That's not really salt creep, it is just the water running down the cord and drying up and leaving the salt on the equipment.

Back
Top Bottom