Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to joelavguy Send a message via Yahoo to joelavguy
Salt into our diet.

Greetings,
The wife and I have had fresh water tanks for most of our lives. We have decided to put a little salt into our diet. This prompts the obvious questions to you the experts. What kind of filter, decorations, etc... Give me your thoughts, quick start articles/tips.

Blessings,
Joel & Raechel

Old 03-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First off Welcome to AA, as far as advice goes a lot of it it personal preference, do a search on this site for all your questions you need answered, read a few books and get an idea as to what your wanting to know. Then come back and ask more specific questions, not trying to sound short but we could type for hours on the openess of your question. Good luck

Old 03-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Will do, thank you for your help. Looking to talking with you more.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm no sw genius by any means but when you hit a stumbling block the guys here great about helping out.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's some basic questions to start:

Do you want Corals or Fish only?
How much do you want to spend up front?
How much do you want to spend on an ongoing basis?

Those are the major forks in the road.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Looking to spend about $1,500 on tank, stand/cover, filter and sump.
Re: Corals or Fish. The wife wants Fish

Does marine life not "build" its own reef/coral system.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some fish will pick at or eat corals. Corals are beautiful but require far better environments and care than most fish. The types of fish will be greatly limited in a "reef" tank (one with corals). You don't want a $75 picking at a $75 coral.

Corals won't form on their own - unless by some small chance you get live rock that comes with some coral which is unlikely.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ah I see than Fish.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To give you an idea, I got a pretty good deal on everything I needed for a 125 SW system for $760 (USED) - including:

125 tank/stand/hood
6 x 55w coralife PC lighting
80-90 lbs of live rock
substrate
wet/dry box
simple skimmer
a few powerheads, wet/dry pump
R/O water unit
2 heaters
HOT Magnum canister (which I don't use)
15w Aqua UV sterilizer

I added a Fluval 404 canister+surface skimmer for about $100. I'd say the cost for everything less livestock was about $1000-1100.

Contrary to the way most things in life work - bigger is better when you're starting out in SW.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 03-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

May I recommend "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner. Do a search on this title and I think you'll find that the folks on this board agree that this is a great text. Fenner will give you lots to think about and give you a great introduction to SW. The book will also help by giving you an intro to a lot of the lingo involved so you can better phrase your questions here at AA

Good luck!!!

Tags
die, diet, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com