Salt mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I was using Red Sea coral pro sea salt, corals were doing very well. My fish syltore ran out and they were not going to supply ref sea anymore. He talked me into Oceanic sea salt. I have been using it for 2 months, sonce then my torch isnt doing well, i have red slime alge. Im just not happy
Has anyone used Oceanic? Did you like it?
It is 1/2 the price of Red Sea.

Is this the artificial oceanic salt? I used it and didn't have any issues with it. My results were actually the opposite where I had issues with red sea due to their lower alkalinity.
Did you make sure you mixed this salt for at least 24 hours? Artificial salts can be quite caustic if not mixed for such a period of time, something I wasn't aware of until finally trying one out myself.
At the end of the day, pretty much all salt mixes are fine. They all have their ups and downs in terms of different levels of this and that. There have been reports on some causing cyanobacteria outbreaks, but nothing ever proven. I would ensure that it isn't the parameters in the system rather than the salt before anything.

Back
Top Bottom