Salt mix or saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to get input on the saltwater source for a sw tank.My hubby and I have looked online and found bottled saltwater.In the product it says you can just add fish(I know better).I was wondering if it is actually more beneficial or just as beneficial as the salt mix.The brand I am looking at says it has a salinity of 1.027 which is optimal for fish.What do you use and for a beginner would you recommend bottled saltwater?:thanks:

Criptix said:
I wanted to get input on the saltwater source for a sw tank.My hubby and I have looked online and found bottled saltwater.In the product it says you can just add fish(I know better).I was wondering if it is actually more beneficial or just as beneficial as the salt mix.The brand I am looking at says it has a salinity of 1.027 which is optimal for fish.What do you use and for a beginner would you recommend bottled saltwater?:thanks:

Personally id use saltwater mix over bottled saltwater.. you generally want your salinity to be 1.025-1.026 so being the bottle is a 1.027, id say skip it.

DanS180 said:
Personally id use saltwater mix over bottled saltwater.. you generally want your salinity to be 1.025-1.026 so being the bottle is a 1.027, id say skip it.

I would skip it as well. My Husband & I got the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. We have a 35 gallon can with an extra power head that we mix our saltwater in. It's really not that hard. We keep the saltwater in the can after mixing & use it for top off's or water changes. You'll be paying out the butt for bottled saltwater. If you mix your own salt look into a RODI system. You may be able to find someone selling one on Craigslist like I did.

Back
Top Bottom