Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salt mix question

Hi Gang
I have a couple of questions regarding salt mixes. Don't the manufacturers formulate salt mixes and all of their other elements in the mixes (Calcium, magnesium, iodine, stronium, ETC....) to be of correct levels at a salinity of 35ppt the same as natural seawater? If the aforementioned is true then why would one want to have a salinity level any lower then that of seawater if the proper amount of elements wouldn't make it's way into the tank at a lower salinity level? Just a thought and am curious.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

DIfferent manufacturers have different ideas of what it should be. The difference is that while we try to recreate to some extent the natural occurances in the ocean, because we're dealing with limited volume setups we don't have the benefit of millions upon millions of gallons of water to back that up. Our inhabitants consume the elements within the water, right? Corals for instance suck up alk and Ca (and other trace elements) to grow. In the ocean, as a coral consumes some of these things, the vastness of the ocean doesn't even notice because the amount consumed vs. the amount available is negligable at best. In our systems, if a coral consumes the elements, since we have limited systems, the slight consumption can cause a noticable decrease in the overall system in terms of quantity available of the elements.

I hope that made sense.?.?

Because of this, different mixes attempt to combat different things. Certain mixes are geared more towards people with Reef systems, and in these mixes the concentration of those elements needed by a reef are typically higher than what you would have in the ocean, to try to combat against levels getting too low as the elements are consumed.

Once we get that understood, we see that different setups have different requirements. For instance, a FO tank doesn't need the higher salinity, and having it slightly lower than the natural occurance in the ocean isn't unhealthy for your fish, but does help to ward off some diseases and such, so it has it's advantages. That's just 1 example.

Did any of that make sense?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I thought it was a very good explanation. Thanks

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That was the best explanation i have ever seen about salt levels. Thanks for that.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks neilanh, great explanation and makes perfects sense. Thanks for taking the time for that one.

Tags
salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com