Salt mix question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm a new menber with a salt question. I need to mix up 60 gallons with "Instant Ocean" brand salt. They suggest 1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon, is this a good starting point? I will be mixing in two rubbermaid containers with powerheads and heaters. I also have a sea test hydrometer to test, I just want a good starting point.
Thank you

Yea that's a fair place to start, but I always have to add more to get my sg up to 1.025. I think that theirs is set at 1.021 which imo is too low.

To be honest I never pay attention to what the amount of salt I add comes out to in cups per gal. I just add a few and then let that sit for a while. Check salinity and add more salt and check salinity after a few hours till I get to the point I want.

1.025 is what I shoot for.

I use a 4 Gal bucket it has the measurments marked right on it. I think it was .88 cents at walmart!

Kaye

I use a 4 Gal bucket it has the measurments marked right on it. I think it was .88 cents at walmart!

I'm using 5 gal "soap" buckets. :lol: I clean them out real good before I use them. I have had no problems. :mrgreen:

I found that with IO salts, if i use 3 heeping coffee cups, not mugs (dont tell my wife :p ) into every 5 gal of RO/DI water, I get perfect 1.025. With Oceanic, i have to level the coffee cups, so i am using less salts per gallon.

I agree that IO measurements are off. IMO i think that Oceanic is a better balanced salt.

I have been messing with this everytime I make up replacement water.
What I use are 5 gallon buckets filled with 4-1/2 gallons of water. I also use Instant Ocean salt. I mix exactly 2-1/3 cups of salt per pail. My salinity comes out to 1.024 every single time. It has not failed me in the last 4 times I made water. I usually make up 5-6 pails for my water changes. Like I said, I have been playing around with the measurements for a while trying to get it just right.
Hope this helps you out.

Mike

I start off with the 1/2cup per gallon method and let it sit. It gets pretty close but then I usually have to add like one more full cup to get it to 1.025.

I also use IO but I am now wanting to get a 200gal bucket. If I get that much I want the best kind. Oceanic seems to be a very good brand but mostly for Inverts and Corals. Whats the best salt to use for FOWLR?

No answer again, huh? Maybe if I bump it up.

p.s.
Has anyone ever tried mixing different types of sea salts to get more of a balance with different elements?

Back
Top Bottom