Salt mixing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati2242

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive already asked and been o.ked to mix my first tank fill of water in my tank. Can I mix all the salt , approx 10 kilos , up in say 5 gallons of warm R.O and then add it to the tank when approx half full . Or should I fill the tank with R.O. warm it to temp and then just add the salt. approx 65 gallons.There will only be sand in the tank my live rock dosent come till next week.

Add ALL the water, then add the salt and mix. After it's mixed and at the proper salinity, then add the sand. No need to warm the water 1st, although you can use the tank heaters to warm it before adding the salt.

You DO NOT want to add all the salt to a small volume of water. What will happen is the concentration of calcium and alkalinity will be so high it will precipitate and drop your parameters out of wack.

Cant explain it any better than that. Make sure you heed what he is saying about adding the salt to a small amount of water.

Ill do exactly what ccCapt said . Fill with water . Add salt . Leave to mix and warm with tank heating . Add sand. Should I rely on the system to mix every thing I.e. skimmer , sump pump and korilias or should I add extra pumps.

You really don't need to have the skimmer on at this time and yes just let the systems pumps do the mixing.

Back
Top Bottom