salt on the side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank for about a 7 months and these salt lines will keep coming up and wanted to now how to fix this.

Also I have a bit of algea and wanted to know anyway to help keep it to a slow return or stop it all together.

Hey I had this problem too. I checked my salinity and it was .024..maybe a tad bit high. I took some water from the top that had some white stuff floating, salt I believe, and added some pre-made ocean water from my LFS. I am hoping this will help.

What do you think?

What kind of algae and where is it located?

Hey I had this problem too. I checked my salinity and it was .024..maybe a tad bit high. I took some water from the top that had some white stuff floating, salt I believe, and added some pre-made ocean water from my LFS.

1.024 is not high. 1.025 is the salinity of the ocean, which is the optimal salinity for our SW tanks. The white stuff you are talking about is protein. Just making sure we're on the same page :)

ebster, i don't really know what salt lines you are talking about so i can't help you sorry. Maybe you can post a picture?

salt lines will keep coming up and wanted to now how to fix this.

I agree with FF, I am not exactly sure what you are saying. Are you saying, you have salt creep? If that is the case, are you doing regular water top offs to offset evaporation? Another thing could be the PHs or filter is splashing the SW up and then drying.

Also I have a bit of algea and wanted to know anyway to help keep it to a slow return or stop it all together.

What/when/how much do you feed? How long do you run your lights? Do you have a tes kit?

courtneyclv, I believe you have your tank by the window, right? Natural light will help feed algae. i once thought about getting window tint, but am not sure if it would work.

It sounds like you are referring to salt creep as roka mentioned. This is just a part of life when having a salt tank. Make it a part of your periodic maintenance to just wipe things off with a damp rag.

LOL, Mrs. Hara are you having troubles today? Double posting all over the place.

This is just a part of life when having a salt tank. Make it a part of your periodic maintenance to just wipe things off with a damp rag.

This is a good idea.

Yes roka, I seem to be getting xml error messages and the posts dont seem to go through. That was at work, maybe things will be better at home.

Back
Top Bottom