Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Anytime and keep in mind, if you look into play sand and or pool sand and its too fine grain for you, you can buy a bag and mix it with something of a larger grain to save a few bucks that's what I did

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually I found some sand that's only $2.50 for 50 lbs so I'll probably use that, and also my mom loves the idea! I was beyond shocked when I found out that she thought it sounded good and wanted to know more! All I have to do is keep up with my current tanks until I get enough money and even then she'll help fund me great 4th of July!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pool filter sand?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, sadly, play sand that looks to be pretty good and I've read some reviews on it online and heard that it's decent stuff that holds up for a long time
Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate
I don't know if you're close to pa but I have a 55 ill sell you for dirt cheap in terms of the tank, if you go with the 55, try to do a refugium/sump or a overrated hob filter, and atleast 1 decent sized powerhead. A lot of people will tell you that you don't need it but your live rock will act as a natural filter, depending on the flow of water across it, it'll either be good or weak. Putting a powerhead in to circulate water will increase the effectiveness of your live rock so for bare minimum equipment I'd say tank,sand,rock/live rock, decent light fixture, stand, bucket of salt, hydrometer, master test kit. Maybe 2 or3 generic buckets (clean),hob filter, and powerhead.
How much is a decent size powerhead? There's one at Walmart that's like 10 that does 170 whatever the unit is. Would that work?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

170 gph is a little low I believe but should work out good in your tank, may wanna pick up 2. That way if one goes down you'll have a backup
Old 07-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
How much is a decent size powerhead? There's one at Walmart that's like 10 that does 170 whatever the unit is. Would that work?
I have this powerhead. It's the only powerhead walmart carries. I had it in my 55 for a while to agitate the surface of the water. It has some pretty darn good flow and is virtually silent.

In a 55 you will want more flow though. I'm about to pick up two koralias rated for about 500gph each. (this is in addition to my 300gph return tubes from the sump).

You may be tempted to pick up some maxijet's too, because they are convenient and cheap.. but.. (this is just my experience) they are so noisy you won't want to run them. Sounds like an electric shaver.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dang!! Two ph rated at 500 gph each? Hope you're not planning on running both in your 55.....thatll be like a tornado in that tank, I have 2 ph rated at somewhere between 350-375 gph, my emperor 400 and my 4 jet nozzle overflows running in my 125 and its got crazy flow....couldn't imagine a 55 with 2 500gph rated ph's
Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Salt (thought I am biased). I honestly don't think it is that hard. My first reef tank under PC bulbs (24g jbj nano) is going great 4 months in and corals and coralline are spreading rapidly. If you're willing to dish out several hundred dollars I'd go with salt...It's just so much more fascinating than fresh.

Then again I live next to a ground spring fed creek that is more interesting than any fw tank I've ever seen.

So long as you dilligently change the water with high quality salt, top off evaporation with reverse osmosis water, start off with high quality rock and sand, and have optimal flow and filtration (skimmer unnecessary in smaller tanks) SW is the way to go.
_____

Scottay, I have a maxijet and have no problems with the sound. They are bulky which is my only complaint, but as far as circulation goes they are 3 times stronger than koralia for the price.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
Dang!! Two ph rated at 500 gph each? Hope you're not planning on running both in your 55.....thatll be like a tornado in that tank, I have 2 ph rated at somewhere between 350-375 gph, my emperor 400 and my 4 jet nozzle overflows running in my 125 and its got crazy flow....couldn't imagine a 55 with 2 500gph rated ph's
Really? I posted a water circulation thread and people seemed to have really high circulation.. see here: water flow for 55 gallon

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh, fresh water, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com