Salt per gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerj

Aquarium Advice Activist
Out of curiosity, how much salt per gallon should I be putting in?

There should be directions on the bucket of salt. I use Instant Ocean, which says 1/2 cup per gallon, but it takes me a little more. Usually I end up putting in a good 3 cups per 5 gal. bucket to get the salinity high enough.

haha i love my directions. "To increase salt, add more kent sea salt, to decrease, add more water."

Thanks though!

Yeah the directions generally offer a guide but you need a good hydrometer to make sure you're getting it right.

thanks guys! I do have a hydrometer! the deep six hydrometer.

Let new water mix for at least eight hours before using, and re-test with the hydrometer just before use. If the hydrometer reads 1.021 just after mixing, it will be 1.023 tomorrow!

talloulou said:
Yeah the directions generally offer a guide but you need a good hydrometer to make sure you're getting it right.

i thought hydrometers were useless, and that everyone should have a refractometer

hmmm, ill have to look into a refractometer. Money is a little tight right now with tuition and all!

Back
Top Bottom