Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

"Salt" Start with a new 14g Biocube.

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I posted here. The last time I posted I was having issues with my 30g tank. It was my 1st try at a tank, and the pressure of problems, and life had just gotten to me, so I took down my tank.

My brother has a 14g Biocube and he was very happy with the customization of it. So I decided last night to get one. Petco.com had it on sale for $199 so I thought that was a good deal. Brand New of course.

I am going to take this with a different approach this time. I want to do a TON of research and get all of my pieces before even putting the water, and live rock into it. So to be honest I might not even start my cycle for a few months.

I thought I would still make my thread here. I have been searching the term "biocube" on the forums, but there is just so much info I thought I would start my own thread for my needs/wants.

Right now I am looking at Media Racks for the Biocube. I think this would be a good investment. There seams to be a few options though. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I also was looking at the Protein Skimmer that is made for the Biocube too. My goal for this setup is mostly coral with only most likely only one or two clownfish.

Glad to be back here. It's been far too long!

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need a skimmer in a 14 gallon cube. Don't waste your money. The inTank media rack IMO is well worth it.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
You don't need a skimmer in a 14 gallon cube. Don't waste your money. The inTank media rack IMO is well worth it.
I'll second this. I have a inTank rack for my aquapod and it is great. Well made and fits like a glove.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

or put some more live rock and chaeto in the "sump"

i've found from my HOB refugium that Chaeto does a great job of collecting detritus and the copepods and what not that take refuge in it do a nice job of feeding on it.

i'm an advicate of natural filtration i am not one for chemicals, over time nature does what it has to do to keep life going. on a nano tank normal water changes and natural filtration will keep your system healthy. what do you think has kept my nano healthy for the 2 years i've had it and through the summer i neglected it more then i care to admit(was working away). my corals and fish are extremely happy and healthy
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I had the biocube skimmer in my 14 gallon and it was garbage. It's impossible to dial in so it would over flow every day. Sure the water was greenish so it was skimming but i ended up just taking it out. I hear some of the new tunze skimmers are alright but dont bother with the actuall biocube one.

lots of water changes and only 2 fish should work fine. I had all sorts of mushrooms and polyps, a colt coral and a few other softies and they all did well. Its a fun little set up if you're willing to pay attention to it...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I def recommend intank's media basket and refuge combo with chaeto. I just got this for my bio cube.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the new tunze skimmer is too big for bc14 imo, it is more suitable for the bc29.
I agree with everyone here that WC is more than sufficient.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies! I am def going to get the intank media rack next. My tank should be delivered today. I also want to get an ro/dI machine, but don't want to spend a 5pm. I live In an apt so it has to be simple and I would prefer just pouring water into filter rather the. Hooking it up to a sink.

Ideas!?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

No skimmer great call. With that size tank not needed and you'll have heat issues

Media rack awesome call. You'll love it, flow will increase and the tank will be cleaner. As far as RO/DI units. I'll give my honest opinion. For that size tank I wouldn't buy one. I'd pre mix with distilled water or get a 2-3 gallon bucket from the LFS already mixed.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #10

I was thinking about selling the water on Craigslist.

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, salt, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com