Salt tank with no live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone done a salt tank without the rock? What results did you have? Any tips for success?

It's a money thing. 4 year old wants a Nemo fish (I do too) but even a 10 gallon with rock is tough on the budget.

You can set up a 10g fowlr really cheap. You can just get some base rock, which is about $2/lb (5-7lbs would be plenty), salt mix, refractometer, filter, heater, tank... probably about $150 or so if you get everything new.

Check out craigslist and local forums for rock even some dead rock will become live rock with time. Base rock is always a possibility as well. Remember starting with a 10 gallon and one clownfish the fish will grow and probably need a bigger tank sooner than later.

Reefrocks.net has some really good rock. I got this much for $30 About 13lbs and it's enough for a 10g. I'd have to disagree about the clown. I think 1 Occelaris could live a full life in a 10g and be happy but that's the min. I'd recommend.
Note*** Each rock is about 4"x4" some even larger.

J19Reynolds said:
Did that include shipping?

Yep. 10lbs at $2 per pound then $10 shipping.
Edit: I ordered 10lbs but got 13lbs so I am very happy with my order. I asked for 10 pieces too and that's what I got.

You need to get live rock to seed the sand to keep the nitrites low.

Not sure where you got this information, but it is wrong.

Beneficial bacteria will coat all surfaces, whether it is the glass of the tank, base rock or sand. Some LR is needed to seed the tank with coralline algae, or you could get some some scrapings from a local reefer.

There are 3 different strains of bacteria in the Nitrogen cycle. Fish wast and excess food gets broken down creating ammonia in the tank. Bacteria eat the ammonia and produce Nitrites which are consumed by another strain, producing nitrates, which are consumed by another type or removed by partial water changes. That's the simple explanation.

J19Reynolds said:
Mmmmm I'll have to remember that... That live rock or just plain rock

It's baserock but you can cycle a tank with only baserock and a small piece of liverock or a cup of sand. Basically anything to get the population of bacteria started

Ibrahim said:
It's baserock but you can cycle a tank with only baserock and a small piece of liverock or a cup of sand. Basically anything to get the population of bacteria started

Oh ok ... Still a good deal... I'll keep that in mind when I do my next tank :)

Looks like Reefrocks is the way I will go. Won't break my budget for 7-8 pounds of rock and we can get our clown. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom