Salt Water Noob W/ Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooey9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick Tank Overview:

I am going for a reef tank
55 Gallon Glass Aquarium
LED's w/ Night and Day Lighting
200 Watt Marineland Heater
70g Marineland Cannister Filtration System
Marineland 1200 Maxijet Pro Powerhead
Thermometer
60 Pounds of Live Rock
5 Hermit Crabs (Smaller Ones)
3 Snails
3 Blue Damsels
Bleached beach sand, and 20lbs of Caribbean Sand on top.

Current Levels:
8.3 pH
81-82 Degrees Fahrenheit
34 Salinity
Everything else tested 0 (Might have forgot a test?)

Now for the questions:
Is a Protein Skimmer a must have? Any input would be wonderful.
Im not running a sump, is this a big deal?
When I purchased the live rock he told me it was from Fiji, he also told me they cure it for 5-8 weeks before selling it. Was he feeding me BS?
I am from FL and live minutes from the beach, what is safe to grab and put into my tank and what steps towards cleaning it and such should I take before putting it into my tank?
How long does it take for a tank to "Cycle" and how will I know?
Live plants a good idea?
I have a Freshwater tank that ive had up and running error free for well over a year, I know air stones are basically a necessity in freshwater tanks for oxygen, what about Saltwater?
Is my temperature ok? I went to lower it to 80 and the Damsels looked nervous and stayed by the heater so I moved it back up to 82.

Current Activity:
Damsels are doing great! 1 is very territorial and is constantly nipping at the others to stay away from his rock.
The hermits are having a hay day between the Caribbean Sand and the Live rock.
Snails are constantly moving on the glass and off the bottom.
Water is crystal clear.

I will update this post as I move further into my new Saltwater hobby.

How long has tank been up and running?

Where in fl do you live? I live 10 mins from cocoa beach.

A sump would be an added benefit if you can do it/ have space.

Im in Bradenton so opposite coast. Its been up for about a week and I really dont have the extra space for a sump. Tank is on a solid wood dresser.

You haven't completed your cycle yet. Check your ammonia and nitrite levels. When you see them turn to nitrates within 24 hrs then you know your cycled. Be patient, don't rush anything.

Is this going to be a FOWLR tank or a reef tank?

Protein skimmers are a must in my book. Not only do they help get rid of nasty waste but also help oxygenate the water. I also suggest not skimpin out on a cheap one. They make some nice hang on the back models if you don't have a sump

I really like the reef octopus ones. They are a bit more expensive. But when it comes to skimmers I found that's it's better to buy they best you can afford. It makes it easier with upgrading the system later. This hobby is very addicting and it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. I also feel that you can't ever have enough skimming

I felt the same way especially without a sump so ill look into the octopus brand

You said you had fish and inverts already. If only a week you have not completed cycle and could be deadly for sensitive animals. At the very least stressful. Don't be surprised if you loose some of your livestock.

Everything is still alive, ph is at 8.3 no nitrates or ammonia and added a overflowbox and sump bought new dual T5 High output lighting with blue leds

Back
Top Bottom