Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Howard like he said. So you have a cup of saltwater... Over time it will evaporate... The salt salinity stays the same but the "volume" of actual water decreases.

So as posted above, keep a 2 1/2 gallon plastic container if purified water available in the house so it stays room temperature. You can buy it at kroger, publix blaa...

When you actually do a 25% water change thats when you replace with the salt mix. Make sure you spend time mixing it very well. Later when you get inverts or coral the salt pieces that don't mix can sit on them and burn them.

This week when i change my water ill make a you tube video you can watch. I have like this whole system... And two kids running around me while i try to do it. Lol

Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

From the sounds of it you can throw a shrimp in and then learn to curb your patience it's Gunna be a while. This is a great time to reasearch a stocking list and while you are at it I'd throw a qt filter in your tank so it cycles also.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just tested ammonia it's at .5ppm. My hydrometer is at 1.021 so I'm trying to bring that up slowly. Also I noticed my heater isn't working right so ive got to get a new one. Any suggestions on who I should go with?

What do I do in power outrages?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeffanman View Post
From the sounds of it you can throw a shrimp in and then learn to curb your patience it's Gunna be a while. This is a great time to reasearch a stocking list and while you are at it I'd throw a qt filter in your tank so it cycles also.

Patience won't be a problem, I had no idea how much this stuff cost. I had fresh water tanks my whole life and they were simple filter heater bubbles fish. I guess you can say I'm eager to get started just not eager to pay $200 for skimmer 50 bucks for new heater. 100 bucks for new hood 60 bucks for new bulbs. And sO on
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Indeed. But welcome to the addiction. To start out though, you don't need to have a skimmer. You can hold off on your lights too, as having them on during your cycle will only promote algae growth.

Just fill up your tank, add sand and rock. Toss in an uncooked shrimp and figure out what your must have fish or coral is going to be. That will help you out figuring out what you are going to need. If you know what it is that you can't live without, then you will know what kind of lights you'll need, if you will want a fuge, and what fish can go in around it. Wish I would have done that when I started...would have saved me a ton of cash.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

The aqueon heater
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #27

Your 100% right it's an addiction. Everytime I go out its another 40 bucks at least. Just got a new heater and thermometer. I got what looks like mice turds in my tank guessing that's diatoms?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard11
Your 100% right it's an addiction. Everytime I go out its another 40 bucks at least. Just got a new heater and thermometer. I got what looks like mice turds in my tank guessing that's diatoms?
LOL! Maybe a mouse tried to take a drink of the saltwater, didn't like it and then pooped in your tank?

I'm finding this thread very informational. I want a saltwater tank and I have NO clue as to what is needed or how to go about doing it. I'm just trying to get my FW tank to do right. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #29

Glad this thread could help. Is there a way to post pics from my iPhone?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes reply then you see the little plus sign button.... Hit that and upload from camera

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com