Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't haves plus sigb

Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard11
I don't haves plus sigb
It may say "advanced" next to the send button. You can upload from camera or from your photo album.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #33

Dosing with a shrimp tonight

So the tank is finally up to heat. By the way i have the thing turned all the way up its for a 30-60 gallon tank (mine is around 47gallons with water and sand) 18.25 x 18 x 36. And its only reading about 72 right now is that fine?

So i'm going grocery shopping tonight and i'm going to dose it with a shrimp.

To save money for now can I go with simply base rock? I have live sand and it'll cultivate and make my rock live by the time the fish are ready to be put in right? How do people make there formations so tall with all those small rocks? I tested my ammonia last night again and it read the same (shouldn't it be going down since i haven't dosed it yet)? At least I think it read the same I'm color blind so these test are hard for me.

Oh and I almost forgot my hydrometer is reading 1.022 which is showing a bit low from what I hear. I have added more salt but I don't want to over do it and have to drain it right now? Is there a calculation per gallon to raise the hydrometer by .001 that'd be great.

One last thing....i'm kinda confused on the whole sump thing, I've done a lot of reading but, I don't really understand the baffles and the huge advantage to one? And powerheads for my tank what do you think would be right...3?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Of that's as hot as your heater is getting
I would upgrade to about 150 -200w.
The sump can do many things for you. It can house equipment. Like skimmer, reactors, filters, heaters ect... This frees up alot of plumbing and room in the display, leaving the display more appealing and less cluttered. I can hold a refugeium, which helps keep nitrates down. Temp housing for problem or troublesome fish or Inverts.
And also adds volume to your tank
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #35

well i keep it a 66 degrees in my house and its in the basement and I don't have the lights on yet, when summer comes I keep the temp at 69 degrees so it'll probably change quite a bit. But yeah I'm gonna get a bigger heater. Or should I just get a second one?

The more reading I do the more I get confused....water changes with live rock / coral (eventually)....live rock doesn't like to be exposed to the air right? So how do I do water changes when it is near the top? And I know coral cant be exposed to air so how do you do that? Do i have to rearange while doing changes?

Lastly I dosed it with a shrimp last night readings were .5 ammonia .3 trites and can't remember trates off the top of my head I think they were 30 or 50. So when do I do my first water change? At the end of this week or while cycling do I not do water changes? How often do I dose with shrimp whenever they finish it up?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #36
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd get a bigger heater and keep the other one for an emergency.

As for water changes, if you don't have a sump/ato you would remove water from your dt and make sure not to expose the corals. It doesn't matter to much for LR as long as it isn't out for a long period of time. This shouldn't matter as when you are going to do a water change, the water should be heated up to the temp of your tank and have been mixed. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a spare heater and spare powerhead. Plug both in and leave over night.

If you just put your shrimp in last night, I wouldn't even be testing nitrites or trates. It'll take awhile to build up all of the BB you need. I'd only test ammonia until it is all gone and see what the nitrites are up to as they will be slightly behind. In terms of water changes, I wouldn't change your water until you are done cycling. Once you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and only nitrates left, dose the tank again to make sure that the ammonia vanishes in a short amount of time, like 10 hours. If this is so, then do a large water change and you are officially cycled.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #37

Ive been reading this forum, and Im new to this too. Howard, check out the stickies on GETTING STARTED.. they help alot as well good luck
Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #38
Fish R friends, not food!

You can check out my build thread in my signature. I posted every day step by step of the cycling process for my 29 gallon.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDee17 View Post
Ive been reading this forum, and Im new to this too. Howard, check out the stickies on GETTING STARTED.. they help alot as well good luck
I've read all the stickies a few times, lol. But I didn't see anywhere where it said what to do when draining the water, especially if where your draining to will expose live rock or coral. Also haven't found if its ok to put just base rock in there for the cycle (i have live sand and was thinking the base rock would come alive by the time I was ready for fish)

Lastly how do i put fish / inveterates' in my tank without putting any of the nasty fish store water in the tank....without exposing them to the air....just do the drip method until I've flushed out most of the fish store stuff?

But I think I've decided on what I want.
2 clowns
couple hammer corals
red mushroom
peppermint shrimp 1 or 2?
lawnmower blenny
A blue tang
and a Royal Starfish
banded coral shrimp
what else should I add for a clean up crew?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your list looks good with a couple exceptions: the blue tang needs a minimum of a 6ft tank, a 180 gallon is recommended.

Also the starfish, although this is a hardier one, most don't do well in home aquariums. Just a heads up.

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com