Originally Posted by Howard11
So I'm new to salt water. I have a 45 gallon tank and a 20 gallon tank. And I want to hear from you all before I make a decision on these questions.
1. I know tap water isn't the best but is it do-able? After each week when I drain the tank partially I plan on replenishing it with bought salt water is that okay?
2. The 20 gallon...quarantine or sump?
3. When I add water (if i go tap route) what do I test for other than PH Amonia Nitrites Nitrates?
4. Is a 350gph a high enough flow for a 45 gallon?
5. Skimmer....do I need it right away?
6. I can add rock when I first start my cycle....can I add shrimp and crabs then too?
7. How do I add amonia to my tank when I think my cycle is complete....is there something I can buy? Or do I just throw some nasty raw shrimp in there?
8. If the cycle doesn't get rid of the ammonia in 24 hours how do I add more bacteria to the tank to process it?
Thanks in advance!!
1.tap water for the start up? Its do able..but youll run into algae problems and will wish you had used rodi
2. QT, without a doubt IMO
3. i dont really understand, is this for the fill up? The water changes?
4. I'd say so
5. Not right away. You can get away with not having one at all
6.if you want to do a fish-in cycle sure. But i dont suggest that. Inverts usually arent too hardy as it is
7. After you cycle your tank, the ammonia will be produced by the fish you add.
Are you meaning to ask how to cycle a tank with ammonia?
8. If it cant get rid of the ammonia and convert it to a safe level in 24 hrs, your cycle isnt complete and you have to continue dosing ammonia