Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by kurtyboh
You don't have to start your cycle with live rock at all, it will help and if you have enough can eliminate your cycle completely, but it doesn't hurt anything to either dose ammonia or add raw shrimp and cycle your tank that way. It may take a bit longer but like I said before it gives you time to research the fish you want and learn what you need to while nothing is in your tank except bacteria!
Also if your not planning a reef but staying fowlr for a while then most can get away with lower water quality, such as using treated tap water; still I personally would say getting a ro/di would be best but... can't force you to get one.
also a pr of breeding clowns will lay eggs approx. every 3 weeks and hundreds of them if your used to cichlids i believe you should get about 40-50 a time... many more with clowns and an lfs will want adult size fish so your looking at holding them for 6 months if that's what you plan on doing... just warning you-although the first few times not many may survive. maybe its not an issue just a warning if you're worried about cost the cost of keeping several tanks for raise babies in may complicate matters, although in the end could offset... who knows and once again your decision.
First of all thanx for your reply. As I said my plan is to breed that's all so here's few more thing I would like to know, let's say I manage to save 50 babies will I be able to keep them all in a big enough tank for them to grow up or will they start fighting and killing each other after few month? My thing is if keep them for 3 month and sell them for £10 each I'm making £500 pound after the expense I should come out with few hundreds. As I have few 4foot tank for my cichlid breeding which I mainly breed oscars and yellow lab. I hatch brine shrimp all most every day for them so expense isn't much apart from salt.
Once again thanx for replies.

Sayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
When buying 50 fish the lfs is going to be paying you bulk they may not have enough customers and sell to another lfs
Im not trying to discourage you, just inform
Im not sure as i dont breed clowns myself but i think you need seperate tanks for each batch you plan on keeping. There a several clown breeding threads on aa which you can answer many of your questions, but if you wanted more answers id start a new thread.

kurtyboh is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, salt water, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com