Salt water tabk setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good afternoon guys!

I am starting this thread to simply discus the equipment and brands of equipment I will need to get started.

I'm currently scouring CL for a 75gallon tank that id like to be drilled but if not I think I can do it myself.

My questions were what should I keep an eye out for? I know I need things like power heads, a protein skimmer, a sump, probably a RO/DI although I honestly don't know what that does I've just read about people using it on here.

What brands should I look for?
What size should I look for each object.

I've also read about the protein skimmer going inside the sump? Is this a common thing or is an HOB better?

So many questions but that's all I can think of now. Lol

I can help a little bit here. The skimmer should be rated for double your tank size. I use a reef octopus in sump skimmer and it's great. I prefer in sump not hob so it's out of sight and I think they work better. The sump I would go a big as you can fit under your main tank . Do you plan to make your own sump? Powerheads most recommend are koralia . As far as the size of the powerheads hopefully someone else can help there since I dont have a reef just a regular fowlr. Ro di is used to make pure water . I get my water at the Lfs so I can't recommend one to you. Hopefully that will give you a good starting point to research equipment.

Hondatek said:
I can help a little bit here. The skimmer should be rated for double your tank size. I use a reef octopus in sump skimmer and it's great. I prefer in sump not hob so it's out of sight and I think they work better. The sump I would go a big as you can fit under your main tank . Do you plan to make your own sump? Powerheads most recommend are koralia . As far as the size of the powerheads hopefully someone else can help there since I dont have a reef just a regular fowlr. Ro di is used to make pure water . I get my water at the Lfs so I can't recommend one to you. Hopefully that will give you a good starting point to research equipment.

It sure does thank you! I'm not exactly site what a sump is or how to make one. Just know that I need one. I'm looking to probably do as little DIY as possible because I don't really have any tools or area to do it unless its pretty simple. I'm in an apartment. Also I guess I need to choose a sump before the protein skimmer then since I also like the idea of it hidden.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Bulkreef supply has very good rodi units little pricey but well worth it

yep i have a bulk reef supply ro/di and love it. there is a group buy starting on the 14th if you want to get in on it. it will probably save you 10-20% on ro/di units. i also got my reef octopus skimmer from them during a group buy and saved about 20 bucks on that.

Yep, the group buy is set to start on tueday the 14th. if you want in all you have to do is PM me your email address and last name.

I am getting a ro/di unit from them during this buy, it'll be $20 off regular price. :) My poor little portable ro/di unit needs a break, I think I may have killed it with my water demands. lol

Sump is basically a smaller tank that goes under your big tank . It's very easy to make . You just get glass or plastic baffels and silicone them in place . Here is a pic of the one I made. It's ugly but it works

Hondatek said:
Sump is basically a smaller tank that goes under your big tank . It's very easy to make . You just get glass or plastic baffels and silicone them in place . Here is a pic of the one I made. It's ugly but it works

I don't care how ugly it is lol. This I could make. What size sump should I make if I'm looking at a 75 gallon tank. It has to go under the stand?

Back
Top Bottom