Salt water vs freah water????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The2hesslers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been having some serious PH issues w my fresh water tank. Have had the tank 2 weeks and still can't put any fish in there. I have a thread w more detail about that but here's my question. This is my first time ever w a fish tank but te more I go to the aquarium store the more I become amazed w the salt water tanks. The question is, how hard are salt water tanks to maintain and with zero experience would it be foolish to do saltwater?? Thanks!!!

I have been having some serious PH issues w my fresh water tank. Have had the tank 2 weeks and still can't put any fish in there. I have a thread w more detail about that but here's my question. This is my first time ever w a fish tank but te more I go to the aquarium store the more I become amazed w the salt water tanks. The question is, how hard are salt water tanks to maintain and with zero experience would it be foolish to do saltwater?? Thanks!!!

Well saltwater is a bit more complicated and more expensive. I'd suggest starting with freshwater and REALLY research saltwater. Because if you screw up, hundreds of dollars go down the drain.

Freshwater-
Tap with conditioner
Fish
Filter
Done

Saltwater-
Big water pumps
Live rock
Live sand
Protein skimmer
Sump( optional)
Refugium(optional)
Marine salt
RODI water unit

I went straight into salt water and I don't think it's a bad idea. A lot of fresh water peeps rush into salt because they think it similar. Just do plenty of research, that's the key! Unfortunately it is very different to fresh so your current set up will need to be pulled down and started again. Be prepared to spend a bit more cash and have plenty of patience :) ask loads of questions here and you shall get honest answers and second opinions, sometimes LFS can give bad advise as they want to sell you things! How big is your tank? Do you know what kind of salt tank you like? Full reef? Or fish only? What kin of fish do you like?

+1 going saltwater. This will be your hobby and your money used. Do what you want to end up doing. Personally I'd rather teach someone who has never had a fish tank to do saltwater than someone who has has done freshwater in the past.

Last edited:
Well saltwater is a bit more complicated and more expensive. I'd suggest starting with freshwater and REALLY research saltwater. Because if you screw up, hundreds of dollars go down the drain.

Freshwater-
Tap with conditioner
Fish
Filter
Done

Saltwater-
Big water pumps
Live rock
Live sand
Protein skimmer
Sump( optional)
Refugium(optional)
Marine salt
RODI water unit

that not all true, you can run a saltwater without live rock or sand you just need a PH buffer you can also treat tap water i know someone that did it for years and was able to keep some more hardly SPS and anemones (wouldn't recomend this though)

there al also some freshwater fish that are just as sensitive as saltwater and then there is planted tanks which require fetilizers and CO2 generators.

at the end of the day it all depends what you want to do but saltwater is generally more expensive, you're not goign to find a $30 tetra but you will find some clowns that are in that range and can get up to a few hundred for a single fish, so with saltwater unless you're loaded you don't really want to be wasting money on dying fish

Freshwater-
Tap with conditioner
Fish
Filter
Done

Saltwater-
Big water pumps
Live rock
Live sand
Protein skimmer
Sump( optional)
Refugium(optional)
Marine salt
RODI water unit
What size is this tank. First off you don't need big pumps you can start with a hang on back filter and upgrade later same with protein skimmer sump and refugium you can get them later on. I would get the rock and sand, of course salt ro unit can also be gotten at a later time.

What size is this tank. First off you don't need big pumps you can start with a hang on back filter and upgrade later same with protein skimmer sump and refugium you can get them later on. I would get the rock and sand, of course salt ro unit can also be gotten at a later time.

I was saying eventually that's what'll be needed/reccomended (unless you enjoy waterchanges).

that not all true, you can run a saltwater without live rock or sand you just need a PH buffer you can also treat tap water i know someone that did it for years and was able to keep some more hardly SPS and anemones (wouldn't recomend this though)

there al also some freshwater fish that are just as sensitive as saltwater and then there is planted tanks which require fetilizers and CO2 generators.

at the end of the day it all depends what you want to do but saltwater is generally more expensive, you're not goign to find a $30 tetra but you will find some clowns that are in that range and can get up to a few hundred for a single fish, so with saltwater unless you're loaded you don't really want to be wasting money on dying fish

That's not entirely true. I have a heavily planted tank with no co2 generators.

And I can agree with no live sand/live rock (in my new reef tank I'm doing bare bottom with base rock), but for a beginner I would think it would be really helpful to have it.

That's not entirely true. I have a heavily planted tank with no co2 generators.

And I can agree with no live sand/live rock (in my new reef tank I'm doing bare bottom with base rock), but for a beginner I would think it would be really helpful to have it.
but are you using a yeast and sugar mix to generate CO2 plants need CO2 to breath. like trees that turn CO2 into oxygen aquatic plants do the same thing. either way this is still a CO2 generator it just does it in a different fashion then simply pumping in food grade CO2 into the water from a regulated tank

I may be a bit biased to freshwater first because I feel like it was very beneficial to understand aquariums before jumping to the salty side
in some ways i totally agree but todays LFS knowledge and the filtration methods now availible to us make saltwater easier for beginners to do, but for those that are lookign for the most natural filtration possible it is still tough and going reef makes it even more difficult as there is more to research if you don't know abotu the coral, there is the type of flow they liek type of light, water conditions, fish in the environment, feeding,and temperment so you know how to place it in conjunction with other corals or invertebrets

but are you using a yeast and sugar mix to generate CO2 plants need CO2 to breath. like trees that turn CO2 into oxygen aquatic plants do the same thing. either way this is still a CO2 generator it just does it in a different fashion then simply pumping in food grade CO2 into the water from a regulated tank

The only co2 in my tank is from fish. I have dwarf 4 leaf, java fern, java moss, anubias, amazon sword, Ludwigia, rotala, and crypts.

I've never needed co2 on any of my tanks that had low-moderate light plants.
Didn't use liquid carbon, glut, not even ferts. -- All of those tanks have done perfectly fine, even without any surface aggitation, lighting is enough for most plants in the low/moderate light category.

I did just start co2 on one tank, and liquid carbon on 2 others, there has been a decent amount of growth rate change, but they all did well before.

--Sorry, I just really hate seeing the wrong info being put out there..

As for the SW/FW debate... Personally, I like the idea of doing fresh first. Learn all the basics, that way and if you mess up you're not going to lose a ton of money on the set-up and fish. SW is a lot more time consuming and expensive in the long run, actually even after start-up costs if you go the live-rock route.
But, I'm a bit biased, I love my FW planteds. I have only tried SW once and it was just too much work for me at the time, and that was after having extensive knowledge of fresh, I can only imagine what it'll be like for a beginner, even with all the help of AA and other forums

I've never needed co2 on any of my tanks that had low-moderate light plants.
Didn't use liquid carbon, glut, not even ferts. -- All of those tanks have done perfectly fine, even without any surface aggitation, lighting is enough for most plants in the low/moderate light category.

I did just start co2 on one tank, and liquid carbon on 2 others, there has been a decent amount of growth rate change, but they all did well before.

--Sorry, I just really hate seeing the wrong info being put out there..

As for the SW/FW debate... Personally, I like the idea of doing fresh first. Learn all the basics, that way and if you mess up you're not going to lose a ton of money on the set-up and fish. SW is a lot more time consuming and expensive in the long run, actually even after start-up costs if you go the live-rock route.
But, I'm a bit biased, I love my FW planteds. I have only tried SW once and it was just too much work for me at the time, and that was after having extensive knowledge of fresh, I can only imagine what it'll be like for a beginner, even with all the help of AA and other forums
thats fine you hate wrong information but mine is not wrong, like in a reef if you want to see optimum growth it is required, may not be needed like with some forms of mushrooms in saltwater can pretty much survive in horibly disgusting conditions and low light, like some plants but if you want to keep some more difficult stuff just like in a reef you need to pump out more, but who am i to say i've never kept a planted tank though i have kept freshwater fish before

The tank is a 30 gal now front. Took PH samples again several times today and got a variety o results. 7.2 all the way up to 8.8. I called and spoke with the owner of the store I have been working with told me since the range is so high my best bet would be to dump it and use only the water she has there. We swapped 20 gallons on Friday w the water they sell and she said it sounds like the 10 gallons that we left in had such high PH that it is buffering the 20 gallons we replace w a higher PH. So needless to say I have a lot of research to do on fresh vs salt. We are actually emptying the tank as we speak. Ughhhh not a good way to start my fish tank experience. I really appreciate everyone's help and advice on here! This site has been more than helpful!! To answer the question as to what fish I like, I really like clown fish and lion fish. Honestly the shop we have been going to has a tank set up with all the fish from the movie Finding Nemo and it is really cute!! Staying on top of the tank and high maintenance is not a bi issue as I stay home during the day. As far as money goes, we are by no means rich but we do have the money to maintain whichever tank we decided to go with. I am so disappointed and frustrated right now I may just take a couple days and stop focusing on this PH issue and research more as to what type of tank I really want. The other issue I have thought of is topping off the tank, water changes etc bc the store we are going to is the only store close by and if they were to close, or not available for some reason the next closest store to actually purchase the "good water" is over an hour away. But thanks again for all of your help!! I will keep posting updates as to what we decide to do and the results!!! I JUST WANT SOME FISH:((

Any Super Market should sale R/O water. You don't need the LFS water. Just as long as you use filtered R/O water. I get my R/O water from Kroger and I just add and stir my own salt mix..

Also, I am not rich as well. I spent at least 2 grand all together on my 55 gallon FOWLR tank. I have a lot of rock to help me with filtration, and live sand. Also a good Skimmer can be great for any tank you do (Fresh or Salt, I will always have a skimmer now.)

Having a fresh planted, cichlid, and reef tank in my house I would definitely say the reef is my fav. It's a bit more work and can be expensive... But its well worth it

Also, the r/o water is great for reef tanks but is next to useless in fresh. The salt mix contains nutrients to put in the water while fresh has no such thing

I had a freshwater and then went ten years with no tanks. Started with saltwater this time around. Saltwater takes a lot more time and money. But it is wonderful. Smart investments make success easier. If you are willing to put time and energy into it, you will love it. I care for my two tanks every day in some way or another. I don't think you would regret going with saltwater. Take it slow, research, and do it right....you will be very happy! :0)

Also, your ph swings are most likely a result of overly soft water. There are plenty of natural buffering additives you can add. A filter bag of crushed coral, dolomite, or limestone in the filter will help get your ph swings under control. Without getting into the chemistry of it they will buffer your water making any change in ph more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom