Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Salt water vs freah water????

I have been having some serious PH issues w my fresh water tank. Have had the tank 2 weeks and still can't put any fish in there. I have a thread w more detail about that but here's my question. This is my first time ever w a fish tank but te more I go to the aquarium store the more I become amazed w the salt water tanks. The question is, how hard are salt water tanks to maintain and with zero experience would it be foolish to do saltwater?? Thanks!!!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2hesslers View Post
I have been having some serious PH issues w my fresh water tank. Have had the tank 2 weeks and still can't put any fish in there. I have a thread w more detail about that but here's my question. This is my first time ever w a fish tank but te more I go to the aquarium store the more I become amazed w the salt water tanks. The question is, how hard are salt water tanks to maintain and with zero experience would it be foolish to do saltwater?? Thanks!!!
Well saltwater is a bit more complicated and more expensive. I'd suggest starting with freshwater and REALLY research saltwater. Because if you screw up, hundreds of dollars go down the drain.

Freshwater-
Tap with conditioner
Fish
Filter
Done

Saltwater-
Big water pumps
Live rock
Live sand
Protein skimmer
Sump( optional)
Refugium(optional)
Marine salt
RODI water unit

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went straight into salt water and I don't think it's a bad idea. A lot of fresh water peeps rush into salt because they think it similar. Just do plenty of research, that's the key! Unfortunately it is very different to fresh so your current set up will need to be pulled down and started again. Be prepared to spend a bit more cash and have plenty of patience ask loads of questions here and you shall get honest answers and second opinions, sometimes LFS can give bad advise as they want to sell you things! How big is your tank? Do you know what kind of salt tank you like? Full reef? Or fish only? What kin of fish do you like?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 going saltwater. This will be your hobby and your money used. Do what you want to end up doing. Personally I'd rather teach someone who has never had a fish tank to do saltwater than someone who has has done freshwater in the past.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
Well saltwater is a bit more complicated and more expensive. I'd suggest starting with freshwater and REALLY research saltwater. Because if you screw up, hundreds of dollars go down the drain.

Freshwater-
Tap with conditioner
Fish
Filter
Done

Saltwater-
Big water pumps
Live rock
Live sand
Protein skimmer
Sump( optional)
Refugium(optional)
Marine salt
RODI water unit

that not all true, you can run a saltwater without live rock or sand you just need a PH buffer you can also treat tap water i know someone that did it for years and was able to keep some more hardly SPS and anemones (wouldn't recomend this though)

there al also some freshwater fish that are just as sensitive as saltwater and then there is planted tanks which require fetilizers and CO2 generators.

at the end of the day it all depends what you want to do but saltwater is generally more expensive, you're not goign to find a $30 tetra but you will find some clowns that are in that range and can get up to a few hundred for a single fish, so with saltwater unless you're loaded you don't really want to be wasting money on dying fish
Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Freshwater-
Tap with conditioner
Fish
Filter
Done

Saltwater-
Big water pumps
Live rock
Live sand
Protein skimmer
Sump( optional)
Refugium(optional)
Marine salt
RODI water unit
What size is this tank. First off you don't need big pumps you can start with a hang on back filter and upgrade later same with protein skimmer sump and refugium you can get them later on. I would get the rock and sand, of course salt ro unit can also be gotten at a later time.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
What size is this tank. First off you don't need big pumps you can start with a hang on back filter and upgrade later same with protein skimmer sump and refugium you can get them later on. I would get the rock and sand, of course salt ro unit can also be gotten at a later time.
I was saying eventually that's what'll be needed/reccomended (unless you enjoy waterchanges).
3g Pico Reef
Old 04-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post

that not all true, you can run a saltwater without live rock or sand you just need a PH buffer you can also treat tap water i know someone that did it for years and was able to keep some more hardly SPS and anemones (wouldn't recomend this though)

there al also some freshwater fish that are just as sensitive as saltwater and then there is planted tanks which require fetilizers and CO2 generators.

at the end of the day it all depends what you want to do but saltwater is generally more expensive, you're not goign to find a $30 tetra but you will find some clowns that are in that range and can get up to a few hundred for a single fish, so with saltwater unless you're loaded you don't really want to be wasting money on dying fish
That's not entirely true. I have a heavily planted tank with no co2 generators.

And I can agree with no live sand/live rock (in my new reef tank I'm doing bare bottom with base rock), but for a beginner I would think it would be really helpful to have it.
3g Pico Reef
Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I was saying eventually that's what'll be needed/reccomended (unless you enjoy waterchanges).
not a problem. I understand what your saying
Old 04-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
not a problem. I understand what your saying
I may be a bit biased to freshwater first because I feel like it was very beneficial to understand aquariums before jumping to the salty side

3g Pico Reef

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com