Saltinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jemzz1988

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys I've just set up my marine 90L tank I have nothing in it apart from 2 small sized live rocks, I'm having trouble with the salinity. When I set it up 3 days ago it was at 1.025 it's now up to 1.030 I need the best advice to get it down again please
Many thanks :)

Are you topping off with SW? To lower remove about 1 gallon of water a day and top off with RO/DI water

Hi guys I've just set up my marine 90L tank I have nothing in it apart from 2 small sized live rocks, I'm having trouble with the salinity. When I set it up 3 days ago it was at 1.025 it's now up to 1.030 I need the best advice to get it down again please
Many thanks :)

If your getting evaporation you wanna too off with RO/DI or distilled water. Remember salt doesn't evaporate so if your adding saltwater to top off then your gonna raise the salinity. When you get evap use the water mentioned above, that will keep salinity in check. Your probably going to have to top off everyday.

Also what are using to test the salinity?

I have been topping it up with salted but at a lower saltinity because i didnt just want to put straight RO into it so thats probably why. I have a comfort hydrometer.
Thanks :) my boyfriend raves about these forums so i though why not! Lol

I have been topping it up with salted but at a lower saltinity because i didnt just want to put straight RO into it so thats probably why. I have a comfort hydrometer.
Thanks :) my boyfriend raves about these forums so i though why not! Lol

Your very welcome. And yeah that's the problem your adding more salt to your salted tank so.... It only make sense that your salinity will be higher. You want to top off with RO/DI or just get a few gallons of distilled water from like CVS and use that. That will help your salinity good.

Top off everyday if needed at around the same time. That's what I did. I'd top off every day when I got home from work :)

Back
Top Bottom