salts not dissolving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[ryan]

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well i filled my tank up today with 55 gallons of RO water from the local fish store. I then added about 7 lbs of sea salt, i forget the brand. It was about half a bag that came with the tank. Im not sure how old it was. Anyway, the majority of the salt dissolved within 10-20 minutes. I let 2 powerheads run in the tank to get some flow and mix it up quicker. but theres still a considerable amount of salt particles that just settle to the bottom and float around when i try to stir em in. Theyve been there for hours and show no signs of dissolving? I know i need to get more salt tomorrow, the hygrometer doesnt evenregister the salinity yet. but what to do about this undissolved salt? think the salt was too old?

first never mix salt in the tank its to much of a pain in the butt in a new tank, and it will really stress and even kill fish if the tank is established. chances are the tank water just needs to be stirred more to let the salts dissolve, i wouldn't trust a new hydrometer they tend to be unrealiable. if u can bring a sample of water to the pet store and see if it registers there. anyway when u add more salt later do it in 5 gallon buckets or a rubbermade container and let it sit overnight that way it will dissolve before u put it in the tank.

Be patient, will go, you have plenty of time to let it dissolve. If the salt has been exposed to a little moisture it makes harder balls that take longer. Unless it is plastic covered, they will disolve.

Your the first person I have seen from Denver also. Welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

its a brand new tank, no fish, nothing, so i didnt have a prob mixing the salt there. i know its a bad idea to mix with fish.

It was probably exposed to a bit of moisture, there were big clumps of salt which broke up easily. but now its individual grains that just keep on floating around. oh well ill give it till tomorrow after work, then im straining all that **** out of there and adding the rest of the salt. the guy at the store said to go to 1.18 - 1.22 salinity. is this generally correct? and what temp should the water be? bout 78 degrees?

phishead, where in denver are you? what stores are the best around here? so far ive been to south broadway tropicals and todds tropical fish. seem to be pretty decent stores.

live rock with fish. id like to try a lion fish eventually. but i know that limits the numbers of fish i can have in there. if not a lion fish, maybe some colorful triggers. not sure yet, i definitely want some cool inverts too though.

55 is a good size for most lions they are large but dont need the swimming space like other fish i like to think of them as the bull dogs of the hobby fat, lazy but can pack a bite. anyway in a fowlr shoot for 18-21, with no inverts there shouldnt be a need to keep the salinty up and if it is kept lower around lets say 18-19 it will help deteur parasites, temo is fine at 78

Back
Top Bottom