Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lightbulb Saltwater

Whats better mixing your own salt or buying ocean water from your Local fish store?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, I think mixing your own is the best. At least you know exactly what's in your water. Even if you buy RO/DI water from the LFS, you still really don't know what you're starting with unless you test every bucket of water you get from them.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Personally, I think mixing your own is the best. At least you know exactly what's in your water. Even if you buy RO/DI water from the LFS, you still really don't know what you're starting with unless you test every bucket of water you get from them.
Which should be standard practice any ways . You are investing time and money into this hobby what is 10 more minutes ? I use bottled water and I really should test mine I have used catalina water and mixed my own depending on where you get it from(here on the east coast it is quite expensive) You can pay quite a bit . I can mix 10 for 1/2 the cost of a 5 gallon jug/bag of catalina water
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The best thing to do is have an RO/DI unit (with a TDS meter) buy a good salt brand and mix it yourself. You can't control what is in the salt mix you buy but for the most part if you select a good brand you will do well with your tank.

Remember when you mix your SW let it mix and areate for at least 24 hours before putting it in your tank. (PWCs that is)
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank is it that you have again? (My info button would help "hint hint admin") With a smaller tank and if you do less than a 5gallon week PWC you could get away with buying the water. Anything more than that and not only will the cost be brutal but a huge headache to deal with. I started with buying RO/DI from the lfs and the small jugs of salt I quickly realized that buying the big buckets of salt and spending the $200.00 on the RO/DI unit saves me much more money and hassle in the long run.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #6

The size of my tank is a 29gal. Ok thanks you guys also so when mixing the salt let it sit before toping off my tank? Is that why when i first filled my tank up it was cloudy and never got clear because thats what happened so i drained it.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I'd let it sit for 24hrs.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social_d87 View Post
The size of my tank is a 29gal. Ok thanks you guys also so when mixing the salt let it sit before toping off my tank? Is that why when i first filled my tank up it was cloudy and never got clear because thats what happened so i drained it.
When dooing a water change you should airate it for 12-24 hours preferably 24 hours . You should never top off with salt water as it is only the water that evaps out , this will cause your spg to rise to dangerous levels or even leathal levels .
As to the cloudiness how long was it that it was cloudy ? What was in your tank LR, LS or sand if so it is a very real possibility that if you ran 2 filters with floss that it would have cleared up and was probably just particals that had not settled down .. it can also be a bacterial bloom which can and does occur in new tanks or even it tanks with uncured LR
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #9

It was the first time filling up the new tank i dont have anything in there yet.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social_d87 View Post
Just so you are clear on something, not sure if you mean this or not, when you "top-off" your tank you us fresh water not saltwater. Water evaporates but the salt stays in the tank. Never top off your tank with salt water.

When doing your PWC let your saltwater mix for 24 hours (usually with a small powerhead in the bucket or container you mix in) before doing your water change.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com