Saltwater 40 g breeder diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 12

NH3/NH4-between 0 - .25
NO2- .25
Did not feel the need to test trate
132 drops of ammonia

Day 13

NH3/NH4-between 0
NO2- .25
I will wait until tomorrow before I add more ammonia

Day 14

NH3/NH4- 0
NO2- 0
added 132 drops of ammonia
I purchased items yesterday for my qt.I should have them sometime next week. Once DT is cycled I will start cycling the QT.I still need a thermometer and a refractometer but i figured since my DT has no fish i can use that refractometer and buy a thermometer since they are fairly inexpensive.

Day 14

NH3/NH4- 0
NO2- .25
added 138 drops of ammonia(I was a little tired).I went to my LFS and purchased a thermometer, E.M Erythromycin, ICH-X and Cu SO4. I still need a good copper test. What medications do you use?

Day 16

NH3/NH4-0
NO2-1 ppm
must have been really tired.i lived day 14 twice...I think I may be cycled soon.My Trites spiked!

day 18-cycled?

NH3/NH4-0 ppm
NO2-0 ppm
added 132 drops of ammonia.
We will see tomorrow!If I am cycled, I am going to set up my qt tomorrow with the sponge filters that are in my dt. In the next few weeks i could have :fish1:

Day 19

Cycled 0 Ammonia and 0 trites! I just painted the back of my quarantine and hope to start it this weekend! I put the filters I will use in the DT so hopefully it will cycle quickly and I can have fish in a few weeks! I have gone back and forth but I think I will stick with my 10 g. The only time I will have more than one fish at a time is with my Blue/Green Chromis and my Clowns so I think I will be ok. I think I am going to try 5 Chromis.I will do three then two about 6 weeks apart. What are your thoughts? Is this a good or bad idea? I want to do well this time around so any advice would be appreciated. :thanks:

Day 1 QT
Ammonia between 1 and 2 ppm
24 drops
salinity-1.024

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415507112788.jpg
    1415507112788.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 104
no ph reading? day 2 QT

NH3/NH4- 1 ppm
NO2-between.25 ppm
NO3- 0 ppm
ph-?
I forgot to check ph yesterday so I tested this morning 3 times because i was getting yellow after 5 min. which as you know is not on the high ph color chart.After the first one I thought maybe I did not use correct test so i did it again yelllow. ok so I used the right test maybe I didn't follow the instructions so I read instructions and got the same result yellow.I only have the sponge filter in there with a tad bit of sand which I will be cleaning out(I think some sand came with the filter).Anyway, should I be concerned about no ph reading?If so how do I know if I need to raise or lower it?How do I raise or lower it?

No PH reading

ok so something is definitely up. I am still using API test kits. The test will expire in 6/2018.I am adding 5 drops and inverting the tube and waiting 5 minutes and still test color is yellow no where near any shade on the color chart. I even tested my DT and got the same result!What's going on? Please help!

Been a whole since I've used the api kits but aren't there 2 bottles for the test and like a minute of hard shaking in between? If you don't follow the directions exactly they will give you a false 0

Been a whole since I've used the api kits but aren't there 2 bottles for the test and like a minute of hard shaking in between? If you don't follow the directions exactly they will give you a false 0
That's only for nitrates.pH is 1 test bottle. I suspect faulty test kit. Has it worked before?

All of the tests have different needs to get a reading. We are looking for ph? I know it's frustrating, but why are we concerned about the ph?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's only for nitrates.pH is 1 test bottle. I suspect faulty test kit. Has it worked before?

Haha, I should read the posts better :eek:, thought the question was about nitrate, whoops. I agree with Hank though, why are you worried about ph?

Haha, I should read the posts better :eek:, thought the question was about nitrate, whoops. I agree with Hank though, why are you worried about ph?
Aren't you supposed keep you PH at least 8.2? I have also read that low ph can affect the nitrogen cycle.Is this not correct?
I used the test before and it was fine.I always got a reading good or bad.

Keep the top of the water agitated do oxygen gets in. That's really all you need to worry about in regards to ph. Mine has always been low in my tank. Chasing such a number causes issues. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom