Saltwater Aquarium Backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raysxb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Over the years I have tried all different types of aquarium backgrounds only to be disappointed in the long run. I tried the tape on type sold at the lfs, the oily junk that you spread between your background and tank that makes a heck of a mess. I even tried painting the back of an aquarium on one of my tanks only to be disappointed as well.

One day I was trying to figure out what I wanted to use as a background. I said I wonder if anyone has ever done window tint? Tint comes in all different colors. So I got online searching for places that sell the different colored tint. I ended up at
http://store.diyhut.com/carwindowtint.html they actual sell all different colored mirrored window tint by the foot. They have the tint in all different heights too.

I figured that a single layer of tint would still be too transparent. I did not want to see the wires our hoses through the tint on the backside of the tank. So I decided to try it on my girlfriends 30 gallon half moon tank. I went to their website and ordered double the length I needed to cover the back of the tank twice. I ordered mirrored purple. It
only took a few days to get it in the mail. Installing two layers of tint worked perfect.

Window tint is pretty easy to install. It goes on the outside back of the tank. I applied the first later of tint and then a few minutes later installed the second layer over the first one. There are tons of window tint tutorials on the internet.

All I can say its wow! I was totally impressed with the way out turned out. The tank with the purple tint background looks amazing, just far better than any of my other tanks. It has been on her salt tank for six months now and still looks awesome. So good in fact that we decided to change to tint on all of our nine tanks.

I just did my 30 gallon tall with mirrored blue tint as well as one of my 50 gallon tanks. They look amazing. The cost to do the 50 gallon with snapping was like $26.00. Well worth it. I will get some pics when I do my next tank and put up the step by step pics for everyone to see.

Last edited:
Not the best pix but ......

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110719_001350.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_001350.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 227
  • ForumRunner_20110719_001412.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_001412.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 197
  • ForumRunner_20110719_001439.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_001439.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 213
  • ForumRunner_20110719_001512.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_001512.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 196
From the pictures it looks like you can look through and see pictures hanging on a wall behind the tank. Is that just reflection from the front of tank? I can't tell. Does the tint work on acrylic tanks?

Back
Top Bottom