Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL,

no i'm not the seller. I just did a random search on ebay for you to see what one looked like and show you where to get one cheap. I really wouldn't use tap water though.... at least buy RO water from the grocery store. I understand not wanting to buy yet again, something else that wasn't budgeted for, but it should be a strong consideration and if not, buy RO water from the grocery store. Just tryin' to help you out and save you frustration from an uphill battle with algae.

As for your heater, most would recommend 2 heaters in case one breaks. You now have first hand experience with a broken heater.... if you had animals in there and you didn't notice it broke.....uh oh, big time problems. I would say 2 150W or 2 200W, you'll have to advice from others on this. You don't want to have one single heater that could malfunction and has the power to grossly overheat your tank..... that will cause quick death to all.

Ryan

Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

what temps should i set the heaters though? if i get 2 150's or 2 200's? still between 75-80 on each of them?

with the ro/di would we be able to use that as drinking water? selling point (aka convincing wife) lol if so think i can get that since we drink bottled water. also how hard would that be be to setup taking into consideration that i know nothing about how to set it up..

wait.. re: heaters.. did you mean to keep the other one as spare? and not for both heaters to be used simultaneously?

Old 02-28-2006, 12:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I would set both of them to 79 imo. This way between lights, and pumps putting out heat, there will be minimal increase during the day. Mine are set at 79, and the highest it goes during the day is 81.5
However, I bought a chiller since I live in Arizona to insure consistent temps throughout the day. Otherwise with my lighting, it would be over 82 degrees easily.

Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry..forgot to reply to the water question. RO/DI you can drink as it is not harmful.

Quote:
selling point (aka convincing wife) lol if so think i can get that since we drink bottled water.
That was the same story I told my wife. The water out here is terrible to drink, so it served two purposes for me.

Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you've ever seen those little mini spouts on a kitchen sink, that's an RO unit. They're made for purifying our drinking water. If you buy an Aquarium trade one, you'll pay much more... they're probably better, but as long as you get a 0 ppm reading, thats all that really matters, it's done it's job. The ones on ebay are all designed for home consumption.

You can really spice up the argument for one if you have a fridge that's got a plumbable ice machine in it. hook your RO up to that for some purified ice cubes.

Try and get the de-ionizer chamber on it if you decide to get one.

Ryan
Old 02-28-2006, 01:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

howah.. hold on guys.. hold your horses! lol... am 1200+ broke right now....

just got back from meijer's just got a 200w and 300w.. this will still work right?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

They didn't have 2 of the same type? This may cause some inconsistent temp readings. If they are different in size I would only use one of them being the 300w.

Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

gotcha.. thought of that too. will just go to another meijer tomorrow and see if they have a 300 in stock..
Old 02-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

hi guys... put in 3 raw shrimps last night.. added 5 lb of rubble live rock for my cycling process...

the RO/DI is interesting.. anybody think id be able to install it myself?

Quote:
If I could offer one suggestion since you are just getting started. If you want to do a reef tank, I would replace the CC with sand for better natural filtration. Just my .02 cents.
HTH

Mike[/quote]

do i need to take out all the cc and replace with sand? can i not just put sand over the cc?[/quote]
Old 02-28-2006, 10:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When you get your RO/DI, you'll think it looks complicated to hook up, but once you get going on it, it's pretty straight forward.

Just have a good understanding of how the water will flow before you hook it up and everything will fall into place. it basically consists of hooking up small tubes to various inputs and outputs, mounting it somewhere and tapping a copper pipe (cold water) with a saddle clamp..... easy peasy, lemon squeezy!!

Don't know about adding the sand on top of the CC.

Ryan

Tags
log, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com