Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic
not sure whether people continue to let the shrimps rot or not. I would say leave them in until you introduce your cleaning crew. Your NH3 is zero, but ammonia is still being produced, only now you have enough bacteria to deal with the amount of ammonia being produced. Not sure if any more colonization of NH3 bacteria would still be occuring though until you introduced a small spike in ammonia from new animal additions.

25% should be good to start.

I would say to start with your cleaning crew, test your water, and add the fish in a feew days following. You probably would be fine all together, but I'd just take it slow to be safe and allow your bacteria colonies to build from the cleaning crew, although they won't add too much to the bioload, it still is something.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Activist
howeh!! checked my water today and here are my values:

ph: 8.0 ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0.25 nitrate: 20

am i doing good with my cycling?

bapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
yep your almost there probly have a few more days before its complete
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:25 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist
looks like im good to go..

day 12, 3 days after using bio-spira:

pH: 7.8 (ive started to put in pH 8.3 save for today)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0

nitrate: 40

i take it that my plan of a pwc tomorrow (saturday) will somewhat take care of the nitrate level....

looks like am going to pay my lfs tomorrow for some yellow tangs..
Old 03-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist
just added a yellow tang, foxface and cleaning crew.

ph; 7.8 ammonia: 0.25 nitrite:0 nitrate: 20

i may have to redo my aquascaping as my fish are spending more time at the back than showcasing themselves up front! but i do love my current aquascape thought as i have a couple of cave formations, cave-loving fish would enjoy.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist
2 days after putting my initial fish and cleaning crew.

ph: 7.8 - this is by far what is boggling me. ive been putting in ph 8.3 by seachem i guess but still my ph is down. what gives?

Old 04-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Activist
it has been awhile since ive last posted. been busy with my ST.

well to update my log, i just lost a FLAME ANGEL. as to the cause im not really sure (not water parameters. parameters are fine). a night before i saw its demise, i still saw it swimming around. then when i came home from work the next day, i saw crabs feasting on its carcass! only thing i can attribute its death is probally because it was not eating much. although i do see him catch some food and swim around during feeding time. other than that i am not sure of cause of death. wish i saved the fish for you guys to do an autopsy. lol!

before the FLAME ANGEL demise, i had a pair of HENI's that also died. i did not notice they had ICH from the LFS! MORAL OF THE STORY? QT. anyways during this time i was (and still am) expecting the impending doom of my tank as i was thinking ICH will develop on my other fish. well, with ginger and garlic laced food and a UV sterilizer i am yet to see any ICH. though i am not that optimistic though.

currently i have 3 orange anthias on my QT. and im trying to keep them there for at least 2 weeks (not if cant help my itchy hands from getting them off there and to the MAIN tank). i am also in the process of revising my closed-loop design. believe me guys if gone through 3 setups already! initially, i thought getting rid of 3 PH's would not be expensive. well, just found out the hard way after looking at some cc bills!

anyways, ive just upgraded my pump (again!) from a mag12 to a mag24. just did not think the latter was adequate. problem with the mag24 is its noise. so had to think of putting the pump below the floor (basement ceiling) which was way harder than i thought. just thought i just drill two holes and thats it! WRONG! turns out my hardwood floors were at least 4" thick! dang! just did one hole for the return line and will do the intake line hole when i come back from a conference.

man this saltwater experience is something.

log, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com